| Acadia is a high quality article, which is awesome!
Please continue to expand this article as much as you can, with more sections, text, images, trivia and anything else you can think of to make it even better!
|Republic of Acadia
Republique d'Acadie (French)
|Motto: "Long live the Acadian Republic"
(French: "Vive la République acadienne")
|Anthem: Acadia Forevermore
(French: Acadie Toujours)
A map of Acadia. No one knows why it looks like that.
|Official languages||English, French|
|Recognised regional languages||German, Italian, Latin|
|Species||Francterran High Penguins, Batavi High Penguins|
|-||Vice President||Ryan Crosby|
|-||Founding of the Republic of Acadia||1999|
|-||Joining the Free Republic Union||2003|
|-||2018 estimate||Mainland Only: 5,500,000
With Other Provinces and Territories: 12,000,000
|-||2015 census||Mainland Only: 5,545,478
With Other Provinces and Territories: 11,997,560
|Currency||Acadian franc (
|Drives on the||Right|
|Calling code||750, 650, 250, 160|
|Flag of the Western Union|
|Treaties and Events|
Treaty of Accession 2018
|Summits and Conferences|
2015 Second Winsburg Congress
2016 Second Acadia Congress
2017 Western Union Congress
2017 Lagois City Western Union Summit
2018 Delphi Western Union Summit
Western Union Forum
Acadia, officially the Republic of Acadia, but also as the Acadian Republic, is a collection of islands located next to the Antarctic Peninsula, consisting of the island of Acadia and an island of similar size known as Dragonstone to the southwest, along with a few smaller islands scattered in the Sub-Antarctic. The country is known for its good economy, high GDP Per Capita, technological growth, decently high population density, and its predominantly fit penguins and having among the lowest fat levels in Antarctica. Many of Rockhopper's relatives live in the country.
Although a small country, Acadia has risen to the world stage in a matter of a few years, and has influenced many world events. With both an ambitious government and people, Acadia strives to be the dominant country in the world, a far fetched goal it strives to reach through its growing colonial empire. Acadia's entry to the powerful Western Union has only increased its ambitions, and the country wants to strengthen both itself and the Western Union. Unfortunately, Acadia's ambitions have gotten it into trouble with many powerful countries, notably the United States of Antarctica, after Acadia left the Antarctican controlled Free Republic Union.
- 1 History
- 2 Government
- 3 Economy
- 4 Currency
- 5 Culture
- 6 Demographics
- 7 Geography
- 8 Territories and Colonies
- 9 Transportation
- 10 Military
- 11 Trade
- 12 Relationships with other Nations
- 13 View from other nations
- 14 Trivia
- 15 See Also
Due to its close proximity to Club Penguin, Acadia has a similar prehistory. Plant fossils discovered during archaeological excavations suggest that the island was tropical during its prehistory like Club Penguin. Many prehistoric penguin bones were also discovered. The same flood that had killed off life on Club Penguin also killed off life in Acadia, and the island stayed uninhabited for the next few hundred years, and the climate changed, and the island no longer was tropical.
The island was rediscovered by Francterran Viking Penguins from Francterre in 500 AD. They immediately started building houses, which grew to become a large village. They named the place Acadia, although it is not known why. Soon, more penguins from the mainland came, and the island became more populated. Penguins started to move away from the town and create farms on the island, since the soil was good for farming. By 550 AD, a kingdom was founded, with a king, and assisted by a council.
In 750 AD, after about 200 years as an independent country, the High Penguin Confederacy, the new government in Antarctica, used their superior military power to annex the island. The High Penguin Confederacy was quick to make the island an important port, due to it's deep natural harbor. The island quickly became a stopover for merchants and traders, who would stop by and sell their goods. Due to its central location, traders from the Asiapelago, and Ninja Archipelago all came to the port to trade. It is said one could hear voices of ten different languages in the streets.
It was also during this time that the population rapidly grew, hitting around 60,000 in 1200, larger than Snä Vinn, the neighboring city to the north, which was the capital of the Province of Mhic Lonnai. This was considered a very large population for its time. This was contributed to by many factors, which included the lack of disease and famine, coupled by the rise of new medicine and farming techniques. There was also few wars and strife in the surrounding lands, which allowed trade to flourish. Many people, fleeing serfdom, also fled to cities such as Acadia.
During the medieval period, Acadia was a county, a subdivision of a High Penguin Confederacy province, under the rule of the Esser family, the same family Brant is part of. To strengthen their rule, they built Acadia Castle, also known as Château Acadia, which would serve as their home, administration building, and fortress for the next 500 years. The medieval period was the time of most growth in Acadia, as the population nearly doubled between 1150 and 1200. The island became one of the largest and most important port cities in Antarctica.
During this time, Acadia's rapid growth meant it quickly became a regional power, with Acadia's navy being one of the largest and most powerful navies, which helped expand and protect their expansive trade routes. Though Acadia was under the rule of the High Penguin Confederacy, the island had a high degree of autonomy, and established connections with many countries. Acadia's vast wealth and power helped the Essers become one of the richest and most powerful families in Antarctica in the future.
The High Penguin Confederacy wasn't the only one to know the importance of the port. Puffle'and knew it too. In 1740, Puffish soldiers took over the island without firing a shot by overwhelming the soldiers who guarded the port. To try and prevent a counter attack, they built many temporary fortifications. The High Penguin Confederacy decided they would lose too many soldiers trying to invade it, and also since Acadia was heavily urbanized, many innocent passersby would get caught in the crossfire, so they decided not to attack.
To prevent an attack in the future, the Puffish added an extra wall around Château Acadia. In addition to that, they expanded the medieval city walls of Acadia. To prevent rebellions, they started to expel groups of penguins who refused to swear loyalty to Puffle'and. Their numbers were replaced by penguins from Puffle'and who were persecuted by the Puffish government. Because the people trusted the Essers, the Puffish kept them in power, but gave them Puffish titles.
Main Article: Acadian Revolution
During Colonial Antarctica, Puffle'and allowed Acadia to keep it's current status, and penguins living in Acadia or had Acadian passports weren't shipped to their respective colonies. However, the island was still taxed, which angered the Acadians, who now wanted independence from Puffle'and. In March, peaceful protests began, but it turned to war when Puffle'and sent in the military, who opened fire on the protesters. By April, when the revolution on the mainland began, Acadian rebels had taken the southern half on the island.
In 1999, when the Antarctic Revolution started, Acadia immediately helped the rest of Antarctica, sending soldiers and supplies. With most Puffish soldiers in the Yowien Archipelago, Freezeland, and present day Polar District and the surrounding area, Acadia was able to take over a large section of the Antarctic Peninsula, nearly separating the northern part of the Peninsula with the rest of the USA. After one year of fighting, Acadia, along with the USA and Freezeland, had gained independence.
Aftermath and Reconstruction
After the the war, Acadia was left almost completely destroyed. Because they could not hold such large territories, Acadia handed over Shiverpool and the surrounding territories to the USA, a decision they would regret in the future. People were leaving fast, since Acadia went from 3,500,000 in 1990 to 3,000,000 by the end of the millennium in 2000. To rebuild, the government hired thousands of builders from many different countries. By 2005, almost all the buildings destroyed were either fixed or rebuilt. Many penguins started to move back, and Acadia slowly recovered.
In 2002, when the USA invaded Archet, and the War of 2002 broke out, Acadia joined the side of Freezeland and Puffle'and since they felt it was right. After the war ended, a year later, in 2003, in order to secure protection and trade rights, the young country was one of the original countries that joined the Free Republic Union, restoring good relations with the USA. and establishing connections with countless other countries. With help from the Free Republic Union, Acadia managed to rise up onto the Antarctic stage by the end of the decade, becoming a major driver in the FRU.
That same year, Acadia also supported Republican Snowiny in the Snowinn Civil War, an extremely unpopular decision among both government officials and citizens alike, who felt Acadia was too young and still recovering to be involving itself into different foreign conflicts. Still, the then President Greg Cleanington joined the war on the side of Republican Snowiny, who correctly predicted that Snowiny would make a good ally and trade partner in the future. With the help from Acadia and other countries, Republican Snowiny was able to win the war.
In 2005, as Acadia was starting to finish up its reconstruction, an ambitious Greg Cleanington set out to find colonies, to expand Acadia's influence, to find new places for Acadians to live in, as Acadia was getting crowded, and a little to show off to imperialist countries. In March of that year, an exploration fleet found an uninhabited island north of Snowiny. Soon many penguins started to settle the island, which was named Gilneas. The government also built farms, since Acadia was too dense for any farms.
In 2010, Acadia celebrated it's tenth anniversary of founding, which was celebrated with much fanfare. After finishing two terms, President Greg Cleanington retired, an act that shocked or disappointed many Acadians, who wanted him in the position for life or for a longer period of time, as he had played a major role in the Colonial Antarctica War and Acadian history. Also that year, Acadia acquired their second colony, Alexandria, which they annexed through referendum.
During the Frosian War, one of the deadliest wars in Antarctic history, Acadia chose to remain neutral, as none of their territories were threatened. However, around April 2014, a Puffalian fleet attacked the Acadian military base of Fort Cheese, located off the coast of Caseusopolis. Fortunately the then President Dominic Smith had doubled the soldiers in the fort from 5,000 to 10,000, and the combined Acadian and Caseusopolisian force was able to hold back the Puffalian advance until the next day, when USA reinforcements arrived.
That same month, the Puffalian-Western War broke out in Penland and the Terra Federation, with the Western Union fighting against Puffalia and Little Penland, which was supported by Puffalia. Because of Penland's proximity to Acadia and the Terra Federation's proximity to Fort Cheese, respectively, Acadia was called to act. Keeping with his promise to not join what he saw as a war that Acadia would neither benefit nor make a major difference in, President Dominic Smith chose to only provide aid without deploying soldiers.
In April of 2015, Acadia joined the Western Union at the same time as Caseuspolis, after weeks of talks with the then leader of Snowiny, Robert Smith. Acadia had fostered good relationships with the main country in the union, Snowiny, since the Snowinn Civil War, and the countries had been good friends. Membership in the Union immediately boosted Acadia's military and economic power, as it increased trade with powers such as Snowiny, Margate, and the Terra Federation and also established relations with Amataria.
In early 2016, the Western Union new capital talks were held in Acadia, with Western Union leaders meeting in Acadia to decide a capital for the Western Union. Acadia was one of the candidates nominated to be the capital, though the Acadian delegates themselves instead supported an island in the Puffepelago to become the capital. However, at much negotiations and voting, Acadia was chosen to become the new capital. Construction on the Western Union Capital District began soon afterwards and finished in early 2017.
Antarctic War on Terrorism
Since February 2015, Acadia was been involved on the counter terrorism side of Antarctic War on Terrorism. Currently, there are 10,000 soldiers, or one tenth of Acadia's military, deployed overseas to fight the terrorists, though worried about the war to escalate into an all out war, Acadia has planned to double that number. As of now most of the soldiers deployed are either used to train local soldiers on how to fight the terrorists or to carry out airstrikes. Acadia also supports the counter terrorists by providing financial aid, supplies, and weapons.
Leaving the FRU
For seemingly years, since they had joined the Western Union, Acadia had a growing distaste towards the USA and the Free Republic Union. In November 2016, after the Presidential Election was over, President Esser and various members of the Acadian Parliament didn't like that Megg and Happyface141 had been elected into office, and the distaste boiled over. After some discussions with their allies in the Western Union, Acadia and Lys' parliaments both agreed to leave the FRU (seemingly ignoring the referendum from earlier in the year), much to the dismay of the USA and others. Most of the international community believes that the departure is due to President Esser's distaste towards the USA for not electing his Vice President's brother (Joseph Crosby) as the President or VP of the USA. While many nations responded to the news, President Spike Hike addressed the FRU by saying:
“It's sad to hear that Acadia has chosen to leave the Union because they dislike the results of our democratic election. However, we respect their opinion, and I hope that their friends in the Western Union take as good of care of them as we have since our soldiers fought side-by-side with theirs in the Epic Revolution. Alas, while we all may be saddened, their departure can make our bonds stronger, all we've done is let go of the weakest links in the chain that is the Free Republic Union, and without them we can further prosper!”
~ Spike Hike
Days later, after Acadia threatened military action against the USA, a heavy border patrol was set up along the US-Acadian border with troops from other areas of the USA being relocated to the Antarctic Peninsula. In addition, Acadia was formally removed from the SABER route, severing a part of its income. However, most ships that stop by Shiverpool also still dock in Acadia. Meanwhile, large protests and riots took place all over Acadia, calling this a violation of democracy.
“President Esser's decision... to just, ditch the referendum the Acadian people had a few months ago... is dangerous and is not good for democracy. The people of Acadia democratically voted against leaving the Free Republic Union, instead the Acadian parliament overruled the people's decision, throwing out insults at the President-Elect of the United States, claiming the election was rigged because a highly unpopular right wing politician didn't win, and... sexism and bigotry was a major part in this too. We are very disappointed to hear these news coming from Acadia, a highly developed country with democratic institutions, and a fellow member of the Western Union. We are saddened to hear of these developments, and... we will just, stand here and... hope for the best. ”
~ Simon McClark, President of the United Provinces
“President Esser's sudden decision to withdraw from the Free Republic Union, while constitutional, is a reflection on President Esser's unprofessionalism in national affairs by his failure to draw a line between foreign diplomacy and his personal political wishes. While one would certainly prefers a friend to win, his childish actions against the United States are deserving of criticism since they are motivated by the fact that Mr. Crosby failed to secure a victory in the election. These actions represent his failure to respect the wishes of the Antarctican voters. What's even more regrettable is the fact that the majority of the Acadian Members of Parliament appears to be burdened by this unprofessionalism, as they were the ones voting for their country to leave the Free Republic Union, in direct contradiction to the will of the Acadian people, who showed their will in the public referendum just a few months ago. This decision is also a failure on the part of the majority of the Acadian MPs in representing their constituencies' will, instead they are more influenced by the fact that a relative of the ruling elite lost the election.”
~ Frederick Mueller, President of Margate
“Acadia's withdrawal from the FRU is very clear, and it's because of the fact that Mr. Crosby, whose brother is a high-ranking government official in the Acadian government, failed to secure the Presidency of the United States. This decision is flawed from the beginning because it is saturated in the unhealthy grease of cronyism.”
~ Slender, Chancellor of Magonia
In late 2014 and early 2015, an expedition funded by the Acadian government discovered a series of seven islands north and west of Gilneas, which were named Alinor. By April of 2015, each of the islands had a settlement, and the islands were rapidly growing in population. The Acadian government encouraged many to move to the islands, and many did, to escape the crowded city-state. Many companies, seeing opportunity to be rich invested in the islands. By 2017, the islands began to see signs of industrial growth. Precious minerals on many islands also attracted new settlers.
From early to mid 2015, Acadia, in a joint operation with the then Kingdom of Snowiny, invaded and occupied Macradonia, splitting it into Acadian and Snowinian occupation zones. After the UAN and the Bow Tie Alliance threatened to invade, Acadia surrendered the territory hours before the landing of Bow Tie Alliance soldiers. Around mid 2015, Acadia also annexed the Republic of Myr, a small country east of the Ninja Archipelago that had fallen to unrest and instability. In return for helping crush the rebellion, Acadia annexed the country and turned it into an Acadian overseas territory, though with much autonomy.
Despite being a republic, Acadia still has many imperialist tendencies, and desires to conquer smaller nations and make them into territories, though they aren't powerful enough to do so. In the past few years, Acadia has shown an interest in annexing the Maps Union, Okan, Hailvale, among others. Both political and military experts, however, have ruled that any move to annex the countries will end in disaster, as they all have powerful allies. Acadia also desires to conquer their enemy, East Pengolia, and make it into a territory as well.
Over the course of 2016 and some of 2017, due to some disastrous policies enacted by Parliament, Acadia ended up ruining its relations with many Antarctic countries, both large and small, including Dorkugal and its ally the United States of Antarctica. However, in late 2017, after the midterm elections that replaced most of Parliament, Acadia began attempting to improve relations with those countries. Around mid 2017, they were able to improve relations with Polaris and Dorkugal. In October 2017, Acadia began the first steps to improving its relations with the USA.
The government of Acadia is a presidential republic, with a president, elected every five years alongside the vice president, as head of state and a Parliament to make the laws. Its constitution, which was based off that of the USA's in all but government system, was written by a Constitutional Committee and approved via referendum in 2000, the same year of its founding. The President has the power to veto laws made by Parliament, control the military, and nominate Supreme Court justices and cabinet members.
The Acadian Parliament is a unicameral legislature with 99 seats, and five non voting seats, one from each colony. These seats, known as the "Colonial Members of Parliament", can nominate people for positions and suggest new laws, but cannot vote. Members of Parliament hold their position for 2.5 years, until their seats are up for election again. The Acadian Parliament has the ability to make laws, approve Supreme Court justices, and declare war, though the President has veto power, which however can be overturned by a two-thirds vote.
The third branch of government is the Judiciary, specifically the Acadian Supreme Court, which is the highest level court in both Acadia and its colonies. Cases make their way up to the Supreme Court from courts throughout Acadia and its colonies, the twelve Supreme Court justices rule whether a law violates the Acadian constitution. The Acadian court system consists of two courts, the civil court, which deals with civil matters, and the criminal court, which rules on criminals and lawbreakers.
The dominant party in Acadian politics is the Conservative Party, a center right party which has dominated Acadian politics since the country's founding, with the second largest party being either the center left Liberal Party or the right Nationalist Party, depending on the current political climate. Other major parties include the center Acadian Freedom Party, far left Socialist party, which was briefly suppressed, right Libertarian Party, and far right Fascist Party, which has seen a rise in recent years.
The Acadian government consists of multiple departments which handle a different issue in the country. The heads of these departments are nominated by the President and approved by Parliament to serve on the Presidential cabinet.
- Department of State
- Department of Education
- Department of the Treasury
- Department of Defense
- Department of Customs and Immigration
- Department of Justice
- Department of Infrastructure
- Department of Trade
- Department of Labor
- Department of Health
- Department of Energy
- Department of Social Services
- Department of Housing
- Department of Natural Resources
- Department of Foreign Interests
- Department of Economics
- Department of Transportation
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Environment
- Department of Colonial Affairs
|Number||Name||Length of term||Rank of Approval/Popularity||Current position in government|
|1||Greg Cleanington||January 15, 2000 - January 14, 2010||1||None (retired)|
|2||Dominic Smith||January 15, 2010 - January 14, 2015||3||Secretary of State|
|3||Brant Esser||January 15, 2015 - Incumbent||2||Incumbent President|
The President of the Republic of Acadia and Formenos is the head of state head of government, and also the commander-in-chief of the Acadian Defense Forces, much like other countries. Like many other countries, the president has the power to create executive orders, which won't need to pass through the Judiciary, or Parliament, although executive orders are very rare. The president also has the power to veto bills made by Parliament. Besides that, most of the time, the President is often a representative in Acadia's foreign affairs, such as meetings of the South Pole Council, UAN, and Western Union. As commander-in-chief of the nation's military, in emergency situations, the President can dissolve parliament and rule the nation, much like Shops. However, the nation's top military generals, such as Travis Howe, form a council, so that the nation will not fall into a dictatorship.
To be eligible for being President, a candidate must be born on Acadian soil, be a citizen, and live in the country for at least five years. To include to that, the candidate must have held a previous government position, and have served in the military, so that they will be capable of being commander-in-chief. Like Shops' guidelines, a candidate must know about politics, economics, and international issues to be President. Like said earlier, a term is five years, but there are no term limits. In order to be impeached, there must first be a 2/3 vote of no confidence, and then a popular election.
Agriculture is a small part of Acadia's economy, since there are very few places to farm in Acadia. Most food is grown in Gilneas or Chinstrap. Besides that, food is either grown in greenhouses, shipped from other countries, or home grown. There are three different types of farms; dairy, grains, and fruits and vegetables.
Mining is a minor source of income, since there are technically no places to mine in Acadia. Most mining is done in Gilneas or Chinstrap, two of Acadia's colonies. Acadia does have many oil drills in the Sub-Antarctic Sea, along with other oil drills in Gilneas and Chinstrap. Since joining the Western Union, the country also has access to many of the organization's mines and oil drills.
There are many restaurants in Acadia. The island has a few fast food chains, and the food they serve has to follow strict government guidelines, which contributes to one of the lowest Fat levels in Antarctica. Compared to the USA, Acadia food is much more organic and is grown with less chemicals. Many restaurant chains such as Eastshield Fried Fish and Frys Chalet have also opened stores in Acadia.
Acadia offers a variety of services, which are well funded and considered among the suitable services available. A lot of services are for protection, since the government wants its citizens to stay safe. One of the largest of those services is the Acadian Special Forces, a group that includes many other protection agencies.
Manufacturing is one of Acadia's main sources of income, and it has many factories to produce items for stores on the island, which make a lot of money. Acadia also manufactures cars, trains, weapons, and textiles. About 20% of factories are military related, 20% is textile and clothing related, 30% produces oil, metal, plastic, and other materials, and 20% produce miscellaneous items, such as toys, vehicles, and tools.
Acadia has high employment rates in Antarctica, as there is the need for more workers to fill the needs of the growing population. However, there are also Acadian Development Administration (ADA) robots being built to do jobs that are dangerous, difficult, or undesirable.
Acadia has one official currency, the Acadian franc (AF), one of the variations of the Francterran franc, which was used by Francterre before switching to the Club Penguin Gold Coin. One Acadian franc is worth 2.5 USA Fish due to inflation in the USA. All currency is controlled by the Department of the Treasury, which also distributes and prints the money. Unlike many countries, the Club Penguin Gold Coin is not a legal tender, though many government officials want to make it so in order to open up trade with other countries.
Outside Acadia, the Acadian franc is widely used. Acadian francs were a legal tender and widely used in many Free Republic Union countries, and the USA until Acadia left the FRU in 2016. As of 2018 the Acadian franc is a legal currency in most of the Free Republics but not the USA. However, many Western Union countries have also began to use the Acadian franc since the country joined the organization in 2015. The Acadian franc is now one of the main currencies in the Western Union.
Acadia's culture is a mix of Puffish, Francterran, and Freezelandian culture, since the first Acadians were Francterrans and Freezelandians and the Puffish owned Acadia for more than 400 years. Thus, Acadia is a melting pot of the cultures of Francterre, Freezeland, and Puffle'and. Being a majority High Penguin country, Acadia still possesses old High Penguin traditions lost to most of Antarctica and even Freezeland.
Acadia's main sport is soccer, known as football in Ninja Archipelago nations. In Acadia, the term football and soccer can be used interchangeably, with the football played in the USA called "Antarctican Football." The second most popular sport in Acadia is hockey. Acadia has national and international teams for both sports, as well as a few others, such as baseball and basketball. The Acadian Sports Association (ASA) owns and controls all the teams, with smaller associations such as the Acadian Football League (AFL) and the Acadian Hockey League (AHL) being branches of the organization. Acadia also competed in The Olympics, and plans to compete in the 2018 UGFA Championship.
Acadia's music, like culture, is highly influenced by Puffle'and, Francterre, and Freezeland. Its music is also mostly classical or "historic", although modern music has become more common. Many of Club Penguin's famous songs are heard frequently in Acadia, as with the rest of Antarctica.
Acadia is quite diverse, with most of its foreign population being from Freezeland or the Ninja Archipelago. Fat isn't very common is Acadia, since strict government guidelines force businesses to make their foods healthier. About 99% of Acadians are literate, although the government wants to make that 100%, and almost all of the population speaks English and French.
| Largest population centres of Republic of Acadia |
Largest cities of the Republic of Acadia
|Rank||City name||Territory|| Pop.
|6||Port Dairy||New Caseusopolis||125,986|
Most immigrants in Acadia come from the USA or the Ninja Archipelago, due to Acadia offering a lot of opportunities for its population. However, due to its small size, immigration to Acadia is a long difficult process. The Department of Customs and Immigration reports that a lot of USA immigrants come from Club Penguin to escape persecution because they are nonmembers. The Customs and Border Agency (CBA) is the child agency of the Department of Customs and Immigration and oversees border protection.
Most creatures in Acadia are penguins, who fled to Acadia from Puffle'and to escape persecution in the early days of the colony. Almost all of the puffles are pets, and though it doesn't have law forbidding free puffles like Furshire does, free puffles are frowned upon, possibly because Mabel makes puffles look bad. Batavi and Francterran High Penguins combined are the most common penguin species in the nation, with 99% of them.
Puffles are one of the most diverse animals in Acadia, with many different colors. Puffles can be bought at branches of the Pet Shop in Acadia, and since Acadia doesn't have a system like Club Penguin, non members can buy them. Because of this, many nonmembers buy different color puffles in Acadia and bring them back to Club Penguin. EBUL has often shown their disapproval for this, but as it is fully legal under both Club Penguin law and EBUL rules and regulations, there is nothing they can do.
Below is a list of species, and their percentage.
- Penguins - 95%
- Batavi High Penguins - 65%
- Frankterran High Penguins - 35%
- Puffles - 5%
Acadian law states that all Acadian students are required to attend primary school, which goes from kindergarten to fifth grade, and secondary school, which goes from sixth grade to twelfth grade. Post secondary school, such as college or university, are optional, though most Acadians take at least two years of college. Final exams in Acadia average around 90%, among the highest in Antarctica, with slightly lower numbers in the colonies, though they are still very high. Students in Acadia attend around 200 days of school per year, a number that has been lowered from before.
Education in Acadia was originally extremely poor, with very high stress levels, higher than that of USA schools. The education system was ruled by many experts as putting too much strain on students and failing to achieve any successful results from this, though the government failed to act. However, in 2015, after Brant Esser was elected into office, he began signing multiple executive orders to reform education. Parliament passed the Education Reform Acts in 2016, which reformed the education system, lowering the amount of days in school, and also suggested schools lower the amount of homework given, among other things.
Colleges and Universities
Acadian colleges and universities are considered some of the most prestigious universities around Antarctica for their high graduation rate and ability for students to find a good job afterwards. The country has a larger amount of higher education institutions ranked in the top fifty than most countries around Antarctica, and many foreign students come to Acadia to study in the universities. Below are listed some of the most known universities in Acadia, and many of these universities are on the top fifty list.
- National University of Acadia
- Acadian Institute of Technology
- Acadian University of Trades
- Acadian Management University
- Greg Cleanington University
- University of Delphi
- Smith University
Due the abundance of good paying jobs in Acadia, the government only allows the disabled, like wounded veterans, refugees, recent immigrants, or the unemployed, to get welfare. The government watches the system carefully, and it is very hard to cheat the system. Those caught cheating must pay all the money they cheated and also a 25% fine, though it is rare that penguins would attempt such a deed. Healthcare is only free for the citizens listed above, and dentistry is included.
The two official languages of Acadia are English and French, with both of them being used officially, both in the government and among the public, and there are three recognized regional languages, which are sometimes used. English and French are both mandatory subjects in schools, and as such, most Acadians are bilingual, and most signs and markers in Acadia are listed in both and French. However, English is more often used in the government and formal business agreements, as English is a much more spoken language in the Antarctic.
Acadia's three recognized regional languages are German, Italian, and Latin, which are spoken by a small majority living in some of Acadia's districts. Aside from English and French, the two official and most commonly used languages, German is one of the most commonly spoken languages, and it is not uncommon to hear German being spoken in the street. Italian has also become a more prevalent language in recent years due to a small population of Ligurians, and Latin has also been used by an increasing population of Candvians. Recent influence from the United Provinces and subsequent immigration has caused Serbian to be a more prevalent language, with Serbian taught as a language in some schools.
The Republic of Acadia consists of two large islands, Acadia, which is about 250 square miles, and dozens of smaller islands scattered around the area which are inhabited by small populations. Most of the islands are mostly flat, with a few small hills, many of which have been flattened in recent years as urbanization takes place. Strangely, the island somewhat looks like Margate City Island for an unknown reason. Due to the islands being small, there are no major lakes or rivers, with the exception of the small Delphi River.
Due to its location on the Antarctic coast, Acadian seasons are slightly colder than other places in the mainland. Still, winters in Acadia are still milder on average than most places around Antarctica. The island gets a lot of snow in the winter, though less than in some parts of the Antarctic, and depending on how cold the weather is, it can snow in the fall as well. Additionally, Acadia gets rain a lot, often raining throughout most of the year when it isn't snowing. This has caused flooding issues in the past, but the government has taken measures to prevent flooding.
Territories and Colonies
The Acadian mainland can be divided into three distinct areas; Acadia itself, a small group of islands, with the main one, also called Acadia, separated from the Antarctic Peninsula by a small strait; Formenos, another small group of islands just southwest of the Acadian islands; and Stepstones, another chain of islands to the far south outside of the Sub-Antarctic Sea. Together, these three island groups make up the "Metropolitan Acadia", and comprise most of the country's population, with Acadia itself having the most people, followed by Formenos and Stepstones.
Meanwhile, there are six colonies, which make up most of the country's land area, but make up a smaller part of the population. However, since there is little empty land in Metropolitan Acadia, the colonies are used to harvest natural resources, for farming, and is often used to reduce overpopulation in Metropolitan Acadia. Acadia has six colonies, New Caseusopolis, Gilneas, Alexandria, Alinor, Myr, and Tyrosh, which are all less densely populated than the Acadian mainland, and make up a large part of the economy, with many of Acadia's industries centered in the colonies.
- New Caseusopolis - New Caseusopolis was originally purchased from Caseusopolis around 2010, and was first only inhabited by military personnel as a military base. However, over the years, many people began to immigrate to the island, and the originally military colony became a civilian colony. While New Caseusopolis isn't as rich or large as the other colonies, the population has been rapidly growing, and the government has been investing in the colony.
- Gilneas - Gilneas was originally founded by a group of entrepreneurs who founded a colony to harvest the island's rich natural resources. However, the Antarctic Revolution that broke out in 1999 abruptly ended most operations in the colony, and the island became a mostly isolated colony in the years after the Revolution when it was given to Snowiny. The Acadian government purchased the colony from Snowiny in 2005 for a couple million dollars, and Gilneas became Acadia's first colony. The government invested heavily into Gilneas, and as of 2017 remains Acadia's richest colony.
- Alexandria - Originally an independent country, Alexandria was silently annexed by Acadia in 2010, with little protest from either the government or the populace, as the island was impoverished and unstable. The Acadian government poured large amounts of money into Alexandria to grow the colony and improved its economy. By 2016, Alexandria was Acadia's second richest colony, after Gilneas. Many people, not only from Acadia, but other nations, have immigrated to Alexandria, growing the population.
- Alinor - Also known as the Alinorian Islands, Alinor was colonized by an Acadian exploration fleet that had been ordered by the Acadian government to find new colonies. The fleet landed on a string of uninhabited islands to the west of Gilneas, and soon built the first settlement, Smithsburg, in 2014. The Penland refugee crisis of 2015 and millions of dollars of funding poured into the colony quickly helped it grow. Within two years, the islands have multiple thriving industries and are rapidly growing.
- Myr - Myr, formerly the Republic of Myr, was annexed by Acadia after pleas from the government, which had fallen to instability and chaos, and was near collapse. The Acadian government stabilized the country and annexed it with little protestation as well. After Myr became a colony, the Acadian government poured large amounts of funding as well, in order to stabilize the country and grow the economy. Myr is now Acadia's third richest colony, but the largest in population.
Previous Territories and Colonies
- Acadian Macradonia - Acadia briefly occupied Macradonia during the early months of 2015 when the Nexonan Nationalist Movement, a terrorist group, had taken large parts of the country and almost overthrew the government. In a joint invasion with Snowiny, Acadia quickly restored order on the island, and held it as a colony for a few months. In May 2015 the Bow Tie Alliance invaded the island and Acadia surrendered the colony, but not before they had harvested and transported out millions of dollars worth of oil and gold.
- Shiverpool - Acadia held Shiverpool for a few months after taking it from the Puffish during the Shiverpool campaign of the Acadian Revolution. Shiverpool and its surrounding lands became part of the newly founded Republic of Acadia for a few months, until Acadia was pressured to give it back to the USA after the war. Because of this, there have been calls in Acadia for Shiverpool to be given back to Acadia, claiming that it is rightful Acadian territory.
Air travel is a common form of travel in Acadia, since many penguins travel on business trips, or vacations, and prices are very inexpensive. Many penguins like to fly with Virgin Acadia due to its very good safety record and inexpensive flights. For this reason, the Acadia International Airport is one of the largest airports in Antarctica, and can accommodate large amounts of passengers. However, the breakout of the Antarctic War on Terrorism, travel has significantly decreased, due to fear of terrorist attacks.
Cars are the most common way to travel in Acadia, and many car companies have factories in Acadia. Every family in Acadia can afford at least one car, and a lot can afford two. Acadia receives most car imports from countries like Alemania, Japaland, South Joseon, and the USA.
Up until recently, Acadia's space program, the Acadian Space Organization, or ASO, was small and underfunded by the government, which had little interest in space. However, recently, the government has grown interested in space travel, with goals to establish space stations and possibly a colony in space. Under the Space Travel and Research Improvement Act, which was passed by Parliament in 2015, the government poured in large amounts of funding into the ASA, in the hopes of increasing Acadia's involvement in space. The Acadian government is expected to launch five spacecraft, two space stations, and three satellites, into space, and is hoping to found a space colony on the moon in 2018.
Travel by sea is a common form of transportation, as Acadia is an island. Many citizens like to go sailing, since the Acadian Defense Forces' presence in the sea makes Acadians feel safer. The Port of Acadia is among the more complex ports in Antarctica, and also has a shipyard.
Buses and trains are common in Acadia, as they get penguins to places faster. Some roads have a "bus lane", so that buses can move around faster, and the Acadia Metro gets about 3 million penguins whom use it per day. Acadian public transport, run by the Department of Transportation, is ranked some of the most high tech and efficient of its kind.
Rail travel is very common, as there is a large subway system that goes all around the island. The trains are relatively cheap, and some use electricity to run, so that they don't emit pollution, and those that use gas are very efficient. The trains have a record for cleanliness, and are fast. The Land Transport Ministry of Antarctica runs the trains that connect to the mainland.
Main Article: Acadia Highway System
Acadia's highway system is a complex network of major highways spanning the two major islands. The government has continually been pouring funds into the highway system, meaning it is well maintained and up to modern standards. There are two bridges connecting Acadia to the USA, and an additional two connecting the island of Formenos to Acadia. Despite the highways' efficiency and modernity, the highways can be extremely congested at times, usually during the rush hour. In fact, the border crossings between Shiverpool and Acadia are considered the busiest border crossings in the world, as commuters from both sides travel to the other side each morning. The government has attempted to build a third bridge to reduce congestion, however.
Main Article: Acadian Defense Forces
The Acadian military is powerful for the country's small size, and has around 330,000 active soldiers as of 2017, including the colonial forces of each colony. Additionally, the Acadian reserve forces and national guard have an additional 160,000 soldiers, including the colonial reserve forces and colonial guard. Acadia's military swelled from around 80,000 soldiers in 2015, when Brant Esser came into the office of president, to 330,000 in 2017, in part of the military expansion acts passed by Parliament. These acts also improved the strength of the military.
In recent years, the Acadian Defense Forces have proven to become increasingly powerful in land, sea, and air power. The equipment of each of these branches have improved in part to the Acadian entry to the Western Union in 2015, but also the improvement of the military passed by Parliament. The army has a large amount of armored vehicles, troop transports, tanks, artillery, and self-propelled artillery, the navy has multiple dreadnoughts, destroyers, cruisers, submarines, and other watercraft, along with around five aircraft carriers that were built with foreign aid under the 2007 Navy Expansion Act in the Cleanington era, and the air force has multiple helicopters, bombers, fighter jets, and other aircraft.
Since 2016, the Acadian government has allowed the colonies of Chinstrap and Gilneas to maintain their own armies to defend themselves, in case they are attacked and the Acadian army is too far away. Not only has this reduced the colonies' dependence on Acadia, but also allows the Acadian Defense Forces to focus on defending the mainland. This has added around 15,000 soldiers and 4,000 reserve to Acadia's military force, making Acadia's full military strength at 80,000 soldiers and 20,000 reserves, significantly boosting their strength.
Up until 2015, Acadia imported goods from the USA and other Free Republics, along with minor trade interactions with the Ninja Archipelago countries, but after Acadia's entry into the Western Union in 2015, the Acadian economy was introduced to a new market, the Western Union countries. Western Union goods began flowing into Acadia, while Acadian goods began flowing to the Western Union countries. Acadia's main exports and imports have shifted from the USA to the United Provinces, Margate, and Tropicalis.
Relationships with other Nations
Main Article: Foreign Relations of Acadia
- USA - Fair - The USA and Acadia have maintained good relations since the Antarctic Revolution, due to the multiple treaties signed between the two after the war. However, relations have begun to sour due to Acadia's hatred of Dorkugal, the Acadian exit of the Free Republic Union, and the communist-sympathetic Happyface141 becoming vice-president.
- Freezeland - Excellent - Freezeland and Acadia are very good allies since the both have a large population of High Penguins, and many Freezelandians live in Acadia. Their good relations are also due to the fact that they fought for independence together, and also because Acadia aided Freezeland in the War of 2002.
- East Pengolia - Horrible - Acadia hates East Pengolia for its communist government and constant threats. Because of this, the two countries refuse to trade, and Acadia has threatened to invade East Pengolia numerous times unless they improve their human rights record.
- Polaris - Fair - Acadia and Polaris never had much interaction in the first place, but their relations are sour after the Polarian Revolution when Acadia fought with the Free Republic Union. However, in recent years, Acadia has put its differences with Polaris aside. President Brant Esser has stated he is open to establishing relations with Polaris, despite their differences.
- Dorkugal - Poor - Acadian relations with Dorkugal have soured since the Bow Tie War. Acadia has threatened to invade Dorkugal, though the USA has said they will invade Acadia if they try to. In recent months, however, the Acadian government has expressed interest in repairing relations with Dorkugal for the first time since the Bow Tie War.
- Snowzerland - Excellent - Though the two countries before only traded and had few interactions due to a conflict of ideologies, the Acadian government sought help from the Snoss in 2017 when war with the United States of Antarctica seemed imminent, as the Snoss were the most powerful rival of the United States of Antarctica.
- Alemania - Fair - Acadia doesn't have much interaction with Alemania. Most interactions are done through Snowzerland, Alemania's ruler.
- Castilla - Fair - Acadia doesn't have much interaction with Castilla, although they plan on starting interactions, which is rather difficult because Acadia does not want to sour the already fragile relation with Snowzerland.
- Puffle'and - Excellent - Being their former colonial master, Acadia has good relations with Puffle'and, which trades with and protects Acadia. The two countries have since settled their grievances from the Colonial Antarctica War as early as the War of 2002, when Acadia allied with Freezeland and Puffle'and against the USA, which had attacked Freezeland.
- Calada - Great - Since Acadia has good relations with Puffle'and, the two are allies. There is much trade between the two countries.
- Liguria - Good - The budding friendship between the Acadian President and Ligurian leader originally led the two countries to come closer together, with the two countries establishing relations with each other since then. Acadia and Liguria occasionally trade and there has been talk for the two countries to create a military alliance with each other.
- Zhou - Poor - Acadia dislikes Zhou's communist government, and refuses to have any interaction with them. Their relations became worse when Acadia joined the Western Union, an enemy of Zhou.
- Shops Island - Fair - Shops Island usually ignores Acadia, but the two trade a lot. The Shoppers think they are quite nosy, and don't like it when Acadia tries to involve itself with everything.
- North Joseon - Horrible. - Acadia dislikes North Joseon's poor penguin rights and communist government and has, like many other countries, installed sanctions.
- Amataria - Fair - Before Acadia joined the Western Union, they had no relations with Amataria. However, Acadia has now begun interactions with the country, although they disagree with Amataria's fascism, though that has changed recently as far right politicians begin to grow more popular in Acadia.
- Dragonstone - Excellent. Both countries frequently trade, and Acadia has been arranging for Dragonstone to be in the Western Union, which finally happened in early 2018. Dragonstone was the first and only country for a long time to announce their support of Acadia during the threat of war from the USA, despite Dragonstone having no capability to hold against the USA. Acadian President Brant Esser thanked the Dragonstonians for their support, calling it "the bravery of the Dragonstonian people to stand against injustice".
- Margate - Excellent. Due to both countries being part of the Western Union, the two countries trade often and conduct military operations together, with the two countries fighting alongside each other during the Antarctic War on Terrorism. Margate did threaten to leave the Western Union over Acadia's threatening of East Pengolia in the Marxit Crisis, which temporarily damaged their relations with Acadia, but the two countries quickly repaired their relations.
- Ed Island - Neutral - Ed Island tends to ignore the city-state, rarely interacting outside of trade. However, as a High Penguin majority country, Acadia is often cold towards Ed Island due to their harsh and brutal treatment of High Penguins, and Acadia has asked the UAN to pressure Ed Island to improving its penguin rights record.
- United Provinces - Excellent - There is a saying in Acadia that goes "Acadia has only two good friends - the Pacific Ocean and Snowiny". The two countries have outstandingly close relations and Acadia considers the United Provinces its most important ally. There is also a very powerful and wealthy Acadian lobby in the United Provinces, consisted of individuals or groups who are united in influencing the foreign policy of the country to be more favorable to Acadia. There is a monument to Brant Esser in Winsburg. Acadia supported the Republican side in the Snowinn Civil War, and the United Provinces and Acadia are both members of the Western Union.
- Caseusopolis - Good - Because of they are both in the Western Union, Caseuspolis and Acadia are very closely allied together. Since Caseusopolis's military is weak and small, Acadia stations some troops in Caseusopolis and the neighboring island of New Caseusopolis, an Acadian colony, to defend the small country. Caseusopolis ships Acadia multiple kinds of cheeses for a lesser price in exchange for military equipment from Acadia.
- Candvia - Excellent - A close ally of the United Provinces, which is a close Acadian ally, Candvia naturally has good relations with Acadia, with the two having a military alliance often trading. Recently, as Candvia prepares to enter the Western Union, the two countries have gotten closer to each other, and a small Candvian population lives in Delphi, leading to Latin becoming a recognized language in Acadia.
View from other nations
When Acadia was first founded, despite recognizing Acadia as a country, most countries around Antarctica expected the city-state to last about a year, due to its lack of natural resources and weak military. With the United States of Antarctica warring with different countries around Antarctica to take more land at the time, Acadia was expected to be conquered or voluntarily join the USA within a few months. However, the Acadian President at the time, Greg Cleanington, allied with many powerful countries, which ensured the survival of the small city-state.
Despite being a small country, Acadia participated in the War of 2002 alongside its allies Freezeland and Puffle'and, against the United States of Antarctica, which was trying to take Freezeland. For the first time, Acadia showed that it was a formidable country, quickly taking the city of Shiverpool and some sections of the Antarctic Peninsula with aid from Puffle'and. Acadian forces again showed their military prowess during the Snowinn Civil War, when they aided Republican Snowiny against Nationalist Snowiny. This eventually led to Acadia gaining more respect and prestige among the countries of the Antarctic.
- It's geographic features are based on that of Singapore's.
- It is somewhat based on the real Acadia.
|Club Penguin, King George's Island||Antarctic Peninsula||Antarctic Peninsula|
|Ed Island, Sub-Antarctica||Sub-Antarctica||Sub-Antarctica|