Culldrome Scientific Research Agency
| Culldrome Scientific Research Agency is an average quality article, but could be even better!
Take this article to the next level, and perhaps even further, by editing it, adding pictures, creating more sections, and adding links to make it a High Quality Article, or possibly an Ultra Quality Article!
|Culldrome Scientific Research Agency|
|Official seal of the CSRA|
|Scientific Research overview|
|Annual budget||~5 billion coins (estimated)|
|Scientific Research executive||Mike Jamison, Executive and Lead|
|Child Scientific Research||Project 17 (disbanded)|
The Culldrome Scientific Research Agency, often shortened as CSRA, is a government owned and funded agency. It is the national research and development agency of the Culldrome Isles and is responsible for the advancement of technology for (primarily) military needs, but also for everyday-use. It is also responsible for the nation's aerospace and space programs, making Culldrome one of the few countries with spaceflight capability. The agency is responsible for researching all kinds of new technology for Culldrome and the rest of the world to benefit from.
The Culldrome Scientific Research Agency was founded in November 1996, a few months after the end of the Porcyal War. It was founded to help with the research and development of all kinds of technology. The CSRA was not only tasked to do this, but also to help and innovate so that Culldrome would become a leader is scientific research. The CSRA was given a large portion of the government funding to get started. It opened up its main office in Culldrome City, as well as a few laboratories. The goal of the CSRA was to further the scientific and technological research and development of the Culldrome Isles. At the time, Culldrome was considered by many nations to be technologically backward, and so it wanted to be advanced in terms of technology.
In 1997, the CSRA officially commissioned Project 17, a very top-secret project, intended to conduct research of Porcyal related weaponry and power sources. Not much is known about Project 17, and if it has ended at all. The CSRA actually denies the existence of this project, despite many conspiracy theories surrounding it. In 2000, a large scientific outpost was set up in Snelten Island, then known as Culldrome Magma. The outpost conducted research on the effects of Porcyal-powered weaponry, which created the island in the first place. Within a few years, many scientific breakthroughs about Porcyals were learned.
Other than this, the CSRA also made many other scientific and technological advancements. It invented the Super Gadget, an important piece of standard issue for the agents of the CSIA. Today, the CSRA aims to improve the lives of the Culldrom by providing state-of-the-art scientific breakthroughs in science. The CSRA has many laboratories in many locations around the Culldrome Isles, all of them working to achieve this goal.
Research and Development Projects
The Culldrome Scientific Research Agency operates many research and development projects.
See also Project 17 Proposals
In the mid 2000s, the CSRA began to conduct heavy research into the extraction of energy from Porcyals. The possibility of Porcyal energy extraction was first discussed in a scientific paper dating back to 1981, during Culldrome's oil price crisis. The paper suggested that the energy from Porcyals could somehow be extracted and then turned into usable electricity. It was hoped that this futuristic solution would provide clean, sustainable energy to Culldrome and eventually all of Antarctica. This was a sought after goal by many, as it meant very large quantities of power at a low price and expense to the environment. The technology would also rival the nuclear power systems of many nations, as Porcyal power was relatively safe at all times. As Culldrome developed more into the future, it's energy usage would surely increase, so Porcyal power was undoubtedly the way of the future.
In 2006, a scientific laboratory was opened in Snelten Island, with another one in the Skulldrome Isles constructed in 2013. The two labs housed the only existing Porcyal Accelerators in the world, which accelerates tiny Porcyal fragments to a very high speed and then colliding them together. This reaction produces a massive amount of energy. The Porcyal Accelerator, however, was not built to extract the power, but to be able to conduct easier research on the technology. The CSRA hopes to conduct more of this research in the future, to pave the way to efficient energy extraction from Porcyals and eventually distributing the power around the Culldrome Isles.
Currently, electricity can be harvested from Porcyals, but is severely limited by cost and requires specialised equipment. Many think that when Porcyal power is perfected, the power can be sold off to many other countries. The CSRA once hoped to sell its power to the Governance, but changed its mind in 2015, as selling power could bring in plenty of income for the country.
In the mid late 2000s, the CSRA has produced a very primitive type of spaceflight: a rocket, the Soaring Star. The rocket was a simple two stage, expendable rocket, comparable to PASA's Triangle Rocket Family, which was also being developed at the time. The CSRA utilized their research facility at Toxic Island, which was also a space center. The first Soaring Star was launched in 2008. The rocket, unfortunately, encountered engine problems, failed to reach the required orbit and fell back to earth. After several months of research, another rocket was launched in 2009, but also malfunctioned.
The two incidents drastically slowed down the research of spaceflight. Funding cuts also affected space research. In 2011, the CSRA wanted to further the space exploration of Culldrome, and so it began research on a futuristic and reusable, Space Shuttle-like spacecraft. The craft, called the A-Wing, was designed to be a minishuttle, capable of traveling to space with only a single astronaut. This was to provide a cheap and reliable access into space. Advances in Porcyal powered technology also allowed the A-Wing to utilize Porcyal powered systems, mainly the engines. The A-Wing and Soaring Star continued to be developed in tandem at a slow pace. However, in late 2012, after Shops Island entered the space race, the CSRA was even further motivated to pursue their spaceflight projects.
The next launch of the Soaring Star occurred on April 12 2013 and successfully reached space, despite a myriad of engine problems during launch and ascent. This event officially placed Culldrome into the history books and into the modern space race, dominated by the large superpowers: the USA, Shops Island and Snowzerland. Many began to take notice of Culldrome's developing technology, as the successful launch made headlines around Antarctica. With this massive morale boost, the CSRA continued earnestly with the A-Wing project. The Soaring Star conducted several more launches, placing Culldrom satellites into orbit for the first time. The first test flight of the A-Wing occurred on June 17. The 72 second flight ended with a crash, almost writing off the A-Wing prototype. However, with the outbreak of the Great Space Race of 2013, the CSRA began mass production of this seemingly untested technology. Although severely rushed, the A-Wing was Culldrome's small key into the space race.
Soon after, Culldrome began production of the Exclamator-Class Space Cruiser, a very large spacecraft capable of carrying 1000 A-Wings. The government later announced that the CSRA's space program would receive funding cuts by 2015. As a result, all Soaring-Star rocket hardware is being reconverted into ICBMs. The CSRA announced that the Soaring-Star rocket was being replaced by a fleet of space transporters, to be constructed by 2016. The agency cited that the Soaring-Star was "old technology" and was "best suited for certain military uses". The agency also announced that Soaring-Star orbital launches would cease by mid-2015.
Since its founding, the CSRA has been responsible for domestic weapons manufacturing for the Military of the Culldrome Isles. In the 1980s, Culldrome had a very limited military with most of its military hardware coming from the USA. During and after the Porcyal War the agency stepped up its manufacturing levels, increasing the power of the Culldrome military drastically. In 2002, the government was one of the first investors in a privately owned Antarctic company, Target Enhanced Weapons Technology. TEWT began to provide for Culldrome's needs and by 2008, 50% of military hardware was built by them.
After the events of Nightmare of Culldrome, the Supreme Leader Steven Snowen ordered the military into a large scale militarisation and recruitment program. Seeing that importing all of Culldrome's weapons would be insanely expensive, Steven ordered the CSRA to ramp up its weapons manufacturing. Shortly after, the government completely bought out TEWT and created factories in Clarkson or Toxic Island, allowing cheap, local manufacturing.
Weapon needs were further supplemented by imports from Shops Island, Ed Island and Munijoch, after the founding of The Axle Powers. These imports were military hardware of a much higher standard and power than the Culldrome built ones. Today, the CSRA mostly create specialised, experimental weapons as TEWT is responsible for the bulk of the country's needs.
The CSRA has many scientific laboratories in varied locations:
- Snelten Island Facility A - Located in the heart of Snelshell City, this was first established in 2000. The facility has since grown massively.
- Snelten Island Facility B - The second facility in Snelshell City was built in 2004. It employs many RocketSnails to conduct research on behalf of the CSRA.
- Snelten Island Facility C - The third facility, located in the outskirts of Snelten Island, is one of the most top secret facilities of the CSRA. It contains a Porcyal Accelerator prototype, the precursor to the one in Skulldrome and one of two existing in the world.
- Snelten Island Complex - The Snelten Island Complex is kept under secrecy, with not many knowing about its existence. It is located on the Southern Outskirts of Snelten Island. Weapons, vehicles and other projects are tested and researched in the harsh environment here.
- Culldrome City Laboratories - This is the largest laboratory in Culldrome City, if not all of Culldrome. It is also the main lab of the CSRA and has existed since 1996. Many projects and scientific experiments are developed and conducted here.
- Skulldrome Porcyal Facility - This facility in Skulldrome conducts research on Porcyals and Porcyal related technology. It also houses one of two Porcyal Accelerators in the world. This high tech accelerator is hoped to help scientists to find more about the rare Porcyal and its uses.
- Golden City Laboratories - This is the newest and most modern laboratory of the CSRA. It is a highly advanced lab that currently conducts research on many fields of science, including physics, chemistry and astronomy.
- Pirate City Facility - Located in the busy port city of Pirate City, the facility consists of a laboratory, warehouse and dock complex. Research in done in the lab, items of interest are stored in the warehouse and the specially commissioned scientific research vessels are housed at the dock. The small fleet of 4 ships often go out to conduct research at sea.
- Southsland Testing Grounds - This science facility is located on the southern island of Southsland in the Treshurr Isles. It specialises in testing weapons, vehicles and other heavy equipment. Adjacent to the main lab complex is a very large block of land (occupying nearly a quarter of the island), which is used to launch research balloons, aircraft and test equipment.
- Point Snowdome - This is the most unique laboratory of the CSRA. It is a large flying blimp which houses a very large laboratory. The blimp contains several engines, so that it can move locations. Point Snowdome is only accessible by helicopter, which delivers a change of crew, essential supplies and scientific equipment. Point Snowdome is used for top-secret research, as well as a launching point for A-Wings and research balloons.
- Toxic Island Space Center - Located in the far, isolated territory of Toxic Island, the facility here not only conducts research on rockets, but also acts as a space center. The CSRA complex features a launch pad, from which Soaring Star rockets loft their payloads into orbit. It is one of the most well known and famous of all of the laboratories and attracts a handful of tourists in the wake of a rocket launch. As of 2015, the Space Center is no longer in operation and is under conversion to a large spaceport and launching point for more advanced spacecraft.
- The CSRA has several partnerships with TEWT, who manufactures 15% of Culldrome's weapons.
- All of the military related items produced by the CSRA are given to the CSIA for testing, before being sent off to the separate divisions.
- Some of the Agency's facilities were formerly of Project 17 use and were converted into conventional laboratories.