| Featured Article
This article was the Featured Article for the month of January 2019! To vote for this month's Featured Article, go here!
| Hockey Manlet is a high quality article, which is awesome!
Please continue to expand this article as much as you can, with more sections, text, images, trivia and anything else you can think of to make it even better!
March 21, 1980
|Residence||Thunderbeak Manor, Achadia|
|Employer||Ed Island Electric Shocktopi|
|Net worth||52 million|
1'10" (with hair)
|Known for||Being the star player of the Ed Island Electric Shocktopi, the Achadia Crisis|
|Title||Supreme Leader of Achadia|
|Term||January 4, 2019-present|
|Children||Chad Thunderbeak Jr.|
Electric Shocktopi MVP (1999-2002, 2004-2010)|
Ed Island Hero of the Nation
Honorary Citizen of Shops Island
to listen to Hockey Manlet's theme!
Hockey Manlet (real name Chad Thunderbeak) is the former star player of the Ed Island Electric Shocktopi and rival of Brant Esser. He became famous early in his career thanks to his exceptional hockey skills, and is still recognized to this day long after his retirement. Today, he is viewed as a symbol of freedom and resistance in Acadia as a result of his fearless criticism of its president, an act which has had many penguins thrown in jail.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Involvement
- 3 Political views
- 4 Attributes
- 5 Personal life
- 6 Awards and honors
- 7 Relationships
- 8 Quotes
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
Chad's life was nothing out of the ordinary for the early years of his life. He quickly became interested in hockey and joined the school hockey team. However, he was bullied for his short stature and decided to turn the tables with his trusty hockey stick. He claimed the nickname the bullies gave him, Hockey Manlet, for himself, as a symbol of his newfound power over them.
In middle school, he began dating his future wife, Melon. On the day of a school dance, Brant thought about asking Melon to the dance, but ultimately decided not to, knowing Hockey Manlet's reputation and not wanting to get beaten up. However, he asked Melon to hang out just as friends and got beaten up by Hockey Manlet anyway, starting a rivalry that would last the rest of their lives. After finishing middle school, they went their separate ways, with Hockey Manlet and Melon going to the same high school and continuing to date.
In 1998 during his senior year of high school, Hockey Manlet was playing a hockey game, which happened to be attended by the brother of a recruiter for the Ed Island Electric Shocktopi. He was so impressed that he told his brother, who offered Hockey Manlet a spot on the Electric Shocktopi once he graduated. Hockey Manlet accepted and moved to Ed Island with Melon, who he later married. He quickly became one of their star players thanks to his short stature, which made him speedier and allowed him to loop around and dodge the other players. Hockey Manlet soon became a household name, and all sorts of businesses wanted him to sponsor them. Soon, CHAD THUNDERBEAK cereal, shoes, jerseys, backpacks, and more could be found in stores, and he even had a short-lived line of Armo sets.
In 2010, Hockey Manlet announced he would be retiring from professional hockey at the end of the season, planning to live a quiet life on Ed Island with his family. Shortly after this announcement, he was gifted a platinum hockey stick by the Electric Shocktopi in honor of his long and successful career.
Antics in Acadia
One day in 2015 while watching TV, he saw that his old nemesis Brant was running for president of Acadia. He decided that he would run in the election against Brant, and immediately moved to Acadia, although kept his house on Ed Island and left a lot of his stuff there in case Brant won. Despite having no political experience whatsoever and being kind of dumb, he got a decent amount of votes thanks to recognition from his hockey career. An error in counting the votes got his vote count swapped with Brant's, and he became president-elect for less than an hour before the officials realized what happened and stripped Hockey Manlet of his status.
During his time in Acadia, Hockey Manlet would criticize Brant on Chitter every day. Brant would often order the Acadian police to arrest Hockey Manlet for being a nuisance, but he was never arrested because he never actually committed a crime, and as such the arrest would be looked upon poorly by the Acadian public. Because of this, Hockey Manlet became the forefront of the resistance movement against Brant in Acadia, as he was one of the few vocal opponents of Brant who had not yet been imprisoned. As a result of this, supporters of President Esser would frequently vandalize the Thunderbeak house, though typically they would get caught and receive punishments ranging from a fine of 500 Acadian francs to one day of house arrest.
Hockey Manlet's internet would often be cut by the Acadian government as punishment for making controversial cheeps, and would be restored some time later. To circumvent this, he would visit cafes and other establishments offering free wi-fi and continue his cheeping there, usually mocking Brant for his failure at silencing him. The Acadian government also usually fined him around 5,000 Acadian francs for these cheeps as well. Hockey Manlet, being the cool dude he is, would oblige to these fines, paying them timely and in full using centimes, Acadia's smallest unit of currency. In anticipation of future fines, Hockey Manlet began collecting an absurdly large amount of centimes and eventually filled an entire room in Thunderbeak Manor with his centime collection.
One of Hockey Manlet's most notorious cheeps was when he cheeped a poorly edited image of Brant drinking a glass of orange juice sent to him by one of his fans. This caused an investigation by the Acadian government which resulted in the fan's personal information being publicly released, supposedly in the interest of "national security" in an official statement. Hockey Manlet naturally criticized this action, claiming Brant was "just jealous of this mondo cool picture" and telling him to lighten up.
In November 2018, Brant issued a warrant for Hockey Manlet's arrest, and he was taken in by the Acadian police. Brant thought he had finally won, but this quickly backfired, as the arrest of a high-profile penguin like Hockey Manlet for such a seemingly trivial reason drew attention towards Acadia's penguin rights violations across Antarctica. In prison, he also met many fans of his, and he discovered that the prisoners there weren't actually criminals, but penguins like him who had committed the "crime" of saying things Brant didn't like. Even the guards decided to subtly help Hockey Manlet, as they knew the system was rigged by Brant. In the meantime, several countries pushed for Hockey Manlet's release, with Ed Island being the most vocal and supportive. Many critics of this decision said that Hockey Manlet did nothing wrong except "dent Esser's fragile ego".
Hockey Manlet soon became the leader of the prisoners in what he called "the Achadian uprising" and effectively turned the prison into a "cool guy hangout". Visitors soon began coming to the prison to hang out with Hockey Manlet, and some even criticized Brant in public or on social media in an attempt to hopefully get arrested and be sent to the same prison. Brant eventually realized that his plan had backfired and tried offering Hockey Manlet an opportunity to pay bail and get out of prison until his trial date, but Hockey Manlet refused. He also tried to order the relocation of other prisoners to other prisons across the country so that they wouldn't act as a support base for Hockey Manlet any further, but the prison guards messed up the lists to ensure that no prisoner was moved anywhere.
After a trial, Hockey Manlet was sentenced to life in prison after being found guilty for conspiracy to overthrow the government and conspiracy to commit genocide. However, Brant quickly discovered what was going on at the prison and had Hockey Manlet deported to Club Penguin Island. After arriving, he returned to his old residence on Ed Island where his family was waiting for him. Safely away from Acadia, Hockey Manlet began to continue trolling Brant on Chitter again. He was later invited to testify before the Western Union, in which he heavily criticized Brant's blatant violation of penguin rights.
Supreme Leader of Achadia
On January 3, 2019, Hockey Manlet received a letter from the McKrill Law Firm, informing him that he had inherited the belongings of Theodore McKrill, a rich hermit who was Hockey Manlet's #1 fan, which included his private island home. Realizing his vision of a "perfect Acadia" could finally be a reality, he moved to the island with his family the next day and began setting up Achadia, putting into place all the policies he had planned for his Acadian presidency while preparing for the next election.
On February 10, Hockey Manlet officially announced Achadia on Chitter, and opened it to the public.
As Hockey Manlet grew older, he began to think about his own mortality, and realized that Brant would outlive him thanks to his High Penguin longevity. Determined not to let this happen, he began brainstorming of a way to prevent this, although this ultimately lead nowhere. One day, a mysterious package arrived on the doorstep of the Thunderbeak Manor, with a note reading "For Chad, from a friend". Hockey Manlet opened the box to find an ancient piece of technology known as a "projector", which he finally managed to get operating after looking around the internet for several hours. As he turned it on, the aging machinery made several loud noises before displaying the appearance of the scientist Dr. Warp, who had transferred his mind into an AI several years earlier.
Warp agreed to design a special life support suit for Hockey Manlet, after he threatened to unplug him and throw the projector in the ocean if he didn't. Using Warp's plans, Hockey Manlet was able to have the suit built and began wearing it; his new appearance was considered intimidating and likened to Sith Lords by some, but inside the same Hockey Manlet that everyone had grown to love (or hate) remained.
In 2135, Hockey Manlet received news that Brant had passed away from natural causes. Unsure of whether or not it was a trick by Brant, he personally attended Brant's funeral to confirm his rival's death, despite resistance from Brant Esser's great great great-granddaughter. Satisfied with the knowledge that Brant had indeed died, and that he had lived a "cooler and longer life" than him, Hockey Manlet loudly declared "good he's gone" before disconnecting his life support suit and passing away.
- Hockey Player - Hockey Manlet has been interested in hockey since joining the school hockey team, but after graduation became a professional hockey player on Ed Island and was recruited by the Electric Shocktopi. His short stature made him their star player, and he soon rose to stardom.
- Politician? - Despite having no political experience whatsoever, he attempted to run for President of Acadia in 2015 against Brant. Recognition from his hockey career allowed him to acquire a surprisingly high amount of votes.
- Lawyer? - Along with Achadia, Hockey Manlet inherited the McKrill Law Firm. He has no idea what to do with it, so it is currently inactive.
Hockey Manlet has a confusing set of political views, which constantly change to be as opposite of Brant's as possible. He is a strong advocate for communism (in name only), and favors practically unlimited free speech and extremely strict gun control. He also supports prejudice against "scrubby High Penguins".
Although he identifies as a liberal to contrast with Brant's conservative views, he doesn't put this into practice. His views toward any country or politician always depend on whether Brant likes them or not, or how they feel towards Acadia.
Thanks to his fame and physical strength, Hockey Manlet is a very smug and egotistical individual. He greatly enjoys rubbing his successes (or enemies' failures) in his enemies' faces, even years after the fact. Of course, he becomes very defensive when his own failures are pointed out. He also prides himself on being "very cool", although he often uses many outdated words in his speech, such as "radical", "gnarly", "tubular", "mondo cool", and "wicked". He is not very intelligent, so he has accordingly adopted a "brawn over brains" philosophy on life, and prefers to resolve problems with physical violence, although his parenting is an exception to this.
Hockey Manlet considers languages other than English "gross", referring to them as "oogity boogity", especially French, the official language of Acadia. This mostly stems from an unwillingness to learn them. As a result, Acadian nationalists often vandalized the walls of Thunderbeak Manor with French graffiti while he was living in Acadia.
At 1'7", Hockey Manlet is very short for an Adelie Penguin, which is where his nickname comes from. He is almost always seen with gray facepaint under his eyes and wearing his old Electric Shocktopi jersey. Occasionally, he wears a red t-shirt that says "OUCH!".
The most iconic part of Hockey Manlet's appearance is undoubtedly his large pointy hair, which has helped his hockey career, as it is perfectly aerodynamic and gives him a slight speed boost. His hair has often been referred to as a "manifestation of his ideals and spirit" and "perfection in hair form", and always perfectly retains its shape somehow, even in harsh winds. Throughout his entire career, Hockey Manlet refused to wear a helmet because it would hide his hair. Many of his fans have tried to copy it, but just can't pull it off. His haters have often criticized his hair, calling it fake and ridiculous, which usually gets them tackled by the nearest Hockey Manlet fan. This is generally considered a "wrong opinion" in the hockey world.
Since taking up hockey during school, Hockey Manlet has become a very skilled hockey player, using his short stature to pull off various moves to confuse and escape from opponents. This allowed him to have no injuries during his entire hockey career, a feat accomplished by no other multi-year player on the Electric Shocktopi, except for one incident where he accidentally crashed into a wall after a game ended while waving at his cheering fans. He never wore a helmet because of this, but more importantly because it would hide his hair.
Hockey Manlet also has great physical strength, which he has made sure to maintain following his retirement.
He has also trained himself in swordfighting from watching WaddleTube videos, but uses his hockey stick instead of an actual sword. He claims that he could beat Brant and has challenged him to a duel on Chitter multiple times, although they have all been ignored.
Despite his attempts to become President of Acadia, Hockey Manlet has no experience in the field of politics whatsoever, and usually just says whatever sounds good. He also doesn't speak French, the official language of Acadia, calling it "oogity boogity", which slightly hurt his political career. He refuses to learn it because he doesn't want to.
Although Hockey Manlet spends most of his time trolling Brant, one of his favorite pastimes is obviously playing hockey.
Hockey Manlet's favorite drink is
Brant's tears orange juice, which he doesn't actually like that much, but drinks it daily anyway. He claims that knowing Brant dislikes it so much makes it taste better. He doesn't have an orange juice license, but no one in the Acadian government ever noticed or thought to check, which is surprising considering how hard Brant tried to get him arrested.
Awards and honors
- Hockey Manlet was named the Electric Shocktopi MVP every single year of his career, except 2003 when another player helped the team win by taking an injury. Hockey Manlet was perfectly okay with this and said that they deserved it.
- A new clothing size for hockey jerseys was created just for him, and was named Chad in his honor.
- Hockey Manlet was awarded "Hero of the Nation" by the Ed Islandian government, and gifted an engraved Keysaber.
- To celebrate his extraordinary stature and his excellence, Manlet Island in the United Provinces was named after him.
- After the Achadia Crisis and Attempted Assassination of Lavender, Hockey Manlet became the first penguin to receive honorary Shopper citizenship.
- There is a dam named after him in Shops Island.
As a result of Hockey Manlet's quick rise to fame, official CHAD THUNDERBEAK merchandise was released relatively early in his career compared to other athletes. The first and most popular piece of merchandise was CHAD THUNDERBEAK jerseys, shirts, and hats. Hockey Manlet was also the face of a sports drink known as Chadorade, and Chad-O's, his own cereal, during the early 2000's. In 2003, an Armo Minipenguin of Hockey Manlet was released in a set for the Sports theme, and it was reproduced in 2019 for the Super Smash Mates U.B.E.R. theme.
Due to his popularity and long career, Hockey Manlet appears in many hockey-based video games as a playable character. The first non-sports game he made an appearance in was Super Smash Mates U.B.E.R., the fifth installment in the popular Super Smash Mates franchise.
The act of making a full payment, usually a very large one, entirely with the country's smallest unit of currency is sometimes referred to as a "Chad payment", receiving its name from Hockey Manlet often paying fines from the Acadian government completely in centimes.
- Chad Thunderbeak Jr.
- The Ed - Hockey Manlet doesn't really know who The Ed is, but thinks he's probably cool since Brant briefly banned him from Acadia by mistake. He later sent The Ed an autographed jersey for his criticisms over the ban.
- EDFan12345 - Hockey Manlet has nothing but good things to say about Ed Island's leader and respects him greatly. Following Brant's criticism of Ed Island and its leader, Hockey Manlet praised EDFan for his "tubular leadership". He was later declared a Cool Guy in Achadia and appears on the special "EDFan Bill" Chad Buck.
- Happyface141 - Hockey Manlet has a great admiration for Happyface after he denounced the actions of Acadia in an address to the South Pole Council.
- Lavender - After Lavender was almost assassinated during the Achadia Crisis by an Acadian nationalist, Hockey Manlet sent him a get well soon card and an autographed Chad Thunderbeak jersey. He was later declared a Cool Guy in Achadia and appears on the special "Lavender Bill" Chad Buck.
- Kermit - Hockey Manlet is a big fan of Kermit as a result of Brant and Acadians in general having somewhat low opinions of him due to his enjoyment of orange juice. While he was living in Acadia, Hockey Manlet owned the country's largest collection of Kermit merchandise. The two have also begun exchanging birthday gifts, initiated by Hockey Manlet sending an autographed jersey to Kermit in 2018. In Achadia, Kermit was declared a Cool Guy, is the only recognized Governance Saint, and appears on the special "Kermit Bill" Chad Buck.
- Megg - Hockey Manlet publicly supported Megg during the United States of Antarctica Presidential Elections in 2016, solely because he thought it would be funny to see how salty Brant would be if she won.
- Melon Thunderbeak - Hockey Manlet and Melon have dated since middle school, and are now happily married with one son. She originally considered his rivalry with Brant childish, but put up with it anyway, although after the Acadian government harassed the Thunderbeak family during the Achadia Crisis (despite specific orders not to harass Melon), she now sides with her husband.
- OJ - OJ is one of Hockey Manlet's best friends, and he considers him an example of a "cool guy High Penguin". Hockey Manlet only ever drinks orange juice made by OJ.
- Red and Blue - Although he has never met them personally, he has referred to them as "cool little dudes" after they said he would make a better president of Acadia than Brant. He later declared them Cool Guys in Achadia for this.
- Scrubbypingu - Hockey Manlet once met Scrubbypingu who told him that his own hair was better than his. After Hockey Manlet pointed out that Scrubbypingu didn't have any hair, he ran away screaming because that was a fact, leaving Hockey Manlet very confused about the encounter.
- Brant - Since meeting Brant in middle school and thinking he was trying to steal his girlfriend, Hockey Manlet has had nothing but disdain for him.
- Penstubal - Previously, Hockey Manlet didn't really care about Penstubal, sometimes acknowledging him only as a sidenote while insulting Brant. Since the Achadia Crisis and the Penstubal Post's constant criticism of Hockey Manlet however, he has referred to Penstubal as a "whiny uncool scrub" and banned the Post from Achadia.
- "Save the orange juice, save the dream!"
- He was so short compared to the average hockey player that the Electric Shocktopi had to order a custom-sized hockey jersey just for him.
- It is rumored that Ed Island being partially responsible for Hockey Manlet's fame is the real reason Brant hates Ed Island, and all other reasons are just excuses to hide his pettiness. This has been debunked by multiple Acadian politicians, who point out Ed Island's mistreatment of High Penguins and hostility towards Francterre, a close Acadian ally, as reasons for Acadia to hate Ed Island.
- Hockey Manlet has a folder on his computer dedicated to embarrassing pictures taken of Brant at inopportune moments and cheeps them out on a regular basis.
- Hockey Manlet has a cpHarmony account where he impersonates Brant.