| Mccoon Island is an average quality article, but could be even better!
Take this article to the next level, and perhaps even further, by editing it, adding pictures, creating more sections, and adding links to make it a High Quality Article, or possibly an Ultra Quality Article!
Mccoon Island's Flag
The map of Mccoon Island.
|Location||Sub-Antarctic Islands, USA|
Mccoon Island is an island that belongs to Batavia in the Sub-Antarctic Islands that has a population of 12,000 and is five times the size of the Iceberg. Formerly part of the Principality of Sherby Hoodwounds, the colony broke off in 1967 and was annexed into the reformed Colonial Antarctica in 1986. Mccoon Island is known for its abundance of Principality-era buildings and ski lift which bears the same name as the national railway. Mccoon Island is nearby the Castillan owned island of Gulapada.
Mccoon Island would be expanded twofold later this year, due to the ever-rising population of penguins and the crowdedness of neighbouring state capital Club Penguin. The construction is slated to begin in the summer of 2011, and was expected to be completed by early 2012, but then, when the Snoss and the Castillans went to war and battled on the island, the island was ceded to Batavia for helping the Castillans beat the Snoss.
The original name of Mccoon Island was Makkoon Island, after the then-prince Sir James Thomas Makkoon the Fifth. It is said that Sir James' men founded the island thus his name was chosen for the island, but others claimed it was actually a tribute to the original Sir James Thomas Makkoon, who was known for abolishing the ruthless policies back in the late 13th century.
Makkoon Island was then renamed Mccoon Island to follow proper English pronunciation.
The island was first discovered by two Sherbian explorers sometime in the late 1400s. Annexed by the Kingdom of Sherby Hoodwounds in 1499, a town was built and many Sherbians flocked there. It was renamed Makkoon Island in 1500 to honour His Royal Highness, Sir James Thomas Makkoon the Fifth. At the time about 8000 penguins lived there. Simple igloos were built that flew the Sherbian flag.
During the transition of Sherby's governing body, a massacre of penguins who were Party supporters were assassinated ruthlessly. Makkoon Island announced a state of emergency and all penguins were ordered to hide inside their homes. Police patrol increased eightfold and even more penguins migrated due to its now-controlled environment. In 1855, during the Makkoon Island General Elections, a party known as the "Makkoon Movement" participated. It revolted against the government and thus a curfew was formed. However, Movement supporters increased and eventually formally gained independence in 1878 as the Republic of Makkoon.
Wars were frequent during the Movement administration. Almost all deserted the island during the battle between the two forces. The war lasted for a long time but no one returned after it ended. Nature took its chance to strike back with more than 4m of snow covering the island. By 1931, all maps of Antarctica no longer included Makkoon Island. Forest overgrowth damaged buildings but the snow lightened the impact of trees and substantially preserved the building.
In 1948, the-then ruler of the Principality of Sherby Hoodwounds discovered the existence of a colony belonging to the former Kingdom. He ordered eight boats with 2000 sailors to reach the island, expecting it to be one-eighth the size of Antarctica. The soldiers tracked the spot to an island that was hidden beneath the snow. Indeed a town existed there once and the island was reinhabitated.
In the late 1960s, the Laboratory of Science and Technology, a government agency of the Principality, relocated its headquarters to the island. The laboratory still remains active with some of the original instruments still used.
During the change of the government from a monarchy to a republic Makkoon Island gained 10,000 inhabitants due to overcrowding in limited Sherbian space. It broke off to form the Gualapeda Straits in the 1960s. In the 1980s, Makkoon Island was annexed by the Colonial Antarctic kingdom and was renamed Mccoon Island.
In 2000, Mccoon Island was posted to the Sub-Antarctic Islands state. In 2011, more than about 550 years since its founding, Mccoon Island will undergo a 200 million pebble makeover. Unfortunately, the makeover was soon to be canceled and be prepared by another country.
It was decided that Mccoon Island would be the Starting place of the Snoss-Castillan War, the most gruesome war that Snowzerland and Castilla would have ever faced. When they arrived, the Snoss came from the East, and the Castillans came from the West. They met in the middle of the island, which was where the action began. While the citizens of the island went into hiding in their basements and bunkers, the Soldiers from both sides began to hide inside the buildings of the island for protection. Since the enemies were in the buildings, many of them were blown up and caught nearby buildings on fire. Thus, all the buildings on the island were burned to the ground or blown up from the explosions. At first, the battles seemed to go absolutely nowhere, but then the Batavians came to aid the Castillans and drove the Snoss out of the island. Now that the Castillans and the Batavians were victorious, the Castillans gave Mccoon Island to the Batavians for their help aiding them in the battle.
After the Snoss and Castillans left the island, Batavia welcomed the island to it's colonial community. Reconstruction began immediately and new citizens were registered. Mccoon Island looked completely different now that it was rebuilt by the Batavians, for now it was filled with many canals and has large Batavian Styled buildings that were close together that formed many alleyways. Batavia paid for all the damage lost during the war and once reconstruction was done, Mccoon Island was back to normal once more.
Mccoon Island is around five times the size of Club Penguin's Iceberg, based on the Institute of Geography's findings. It will be around half the size of CP after it undergoes the makeover later in 2011. Mccoon Island is usually overgrown with alpine trees for some reason, although a number of pine trees could be found towards the northwest. It has a stable climate of around -20 degrees Celsius on average during the winter and -12 during the summer. Besides Penguins and Puffles, Crabs are the only other inhabitant on the island.
The Economy of Mccoon Island basically depends on transportation and tourism. Mccoon Island has become a major trading post for the Batavians with other islands in the Sub Antarctic, including Club Penguin. Since Batavia rebuilt the island, the place has regained more tourism with it's attractive Batavian looking city and it's skilift also gains tourists as well. Most of the tourists who come to Mccoon Island are either locals or penguins and puffles from nearby islands.
Mccoon Island contains of three parts:
- Mccoon Town - The town centre. It was razed to the ground in the Snoss-Castillian wars and rebuilt by the Batavians in their architectual style.
- Outer Streets - where residents live and outer town centre. It was reduced to rubble in the fires that followed the Snoss-Castillian war, and the Batavians also reconstructed the neighborhoods. They are mostly small flats that are crowded together and are surrounded by canals.
- Mccoon Forests - A pile of snow-filled trees with large piles of snow. It's too tall to navigate without getting lost, so one must to ride the Antarctic Express (chairlift). A notable chunk of the forest was taken out in the Snoss-Castillian War. (The Chairlift survived the war without so much as breaking anythihg!)
- Antarctic Express (chairlift)/Hut - A seemingly bland shack housing the electronic equipment, wiring, and hydraulics on the receiving end of the Antarctic Express Chairlift. Despite its looks, though, the Hut actually has the only entrance to the Regipastry temple housing the legendary Regi console of ice: Regifrozatron.