A Red Puffle
| Moschomicrotherium pufflei|
Puffles are abundant throughout Antarctica. Red puffles live in Rockhopper Island.
Puffles (Moschomicrotherium pufflei, i.e. "funny little beast puffle") are the pets of penguins. They have been known to the native penguins of Rockhopper Island for ages, but were unknown to most people outside the island until November 2005, when one was seen in Club Penguin. Since then, they've been common pets throughout Antarctica. Not all puffles are pets, however. Many of the lesser intelligent puffles are wild and live in forests, mountains, and in brush. Intelligent and civilized puffles that live with no owner are called "Free Puffles". Some Free Puffles have their own country, called Puffle'and, but Free Puffles can be found almost anywhere in the Antarctic, except in Club Penguin itself.
Modern-Day Puffles originated from many different ancestors that lived in the South American tropics, thought to be the Amazon. Eventually, through migration of their descendants, the descendants eventually mated and breeded into hybrids that bore the first puffles, who were born in what is now the grasslands known as the Pampas. As Puffles thrived, they began to move more southward towards Patagonia and Tierra Del Fuego, where they developed longer fur. Because of the thriving of the puffle population and competition to survive, Puffle descendants were soon wiped out. Some time later, a catastrophic drought hit Patagonia as well as major wildfires in the Pampas resulting from the drought, killing off all O-Berry bushes in South America, and therefore killing of the majority of Puffles in South America. However, a group of Puffles with stronger genes that could withstand desertlike temperatures survived, and with the help of the first few smart puffles, the puffles migrated to the Falkland Islands, where they continued to thrive, replant O-Berry bushes, and reproduce. Around 2000 BC, the first penguins to settle Antarctica, Sigurd and Bacchus, reached the islands, and took 20 pairs of the major puffle colors (colors of the rainbow as well as black, pink, white, and brown) and brought them to populate Antarctica as well as the Ninja Archipelago and Rockhopper Island. Today, Puffles are the second most common species in Antarctica and the first most common mammal in Antarctica.
Puffles are also telekinetic and can "pick up" objects using their minds. Their telekinesis has a limited range though (usually about a foot), and also a limited strength. They have a weak backbone consisting primarily of cartilage in the center of their body, and their brain, which is very large in comparison to their bodies, takes up the entire top of their body. All the organs are located at the puffle's lower region, including a special water-filled sac that puffles use to move (more in puffle locomotion), two organs that act like powerful electromagnets, which the puffle uses in telekinesis (more in telekinesis), and two other sacs that are implemented in the puffle's ignition system (more in ignition system).
Puffle locomotion combines the momentum of the water-filled sac with the occasional telekinetic push. Two muscles above and below the water sac called the locomotor superior and locmotor inferior (respectively) pull on a flap of cartilage behind the sac, causing the flap to lightly bounce the sac against the puffle's skin. The puffle uses the sac's momentum along with its own telekinetic pushes to move itself forward. Experts believe that puffles use this system for slow-speed locomotion to give their telekinetic organs a break. When moving at high speeds over short distances, puffles roll like an armadillo, using their muscle-sac system to spin around. When moving at high speeds over long distances, though, puffles use telekinesis to zoom over the ground like a maglev train.
TelekinesisPuffles have two special organs that act like electromagnets near their brain, generating electric currents and passing them over small metal particles suspended in solution inside the organs, essentially turning each organ into an electromagnet. The two magnetic fields are amplified by metallic lumps embedded in the puffle's skin. Each magnetic field is amplified so greatly that it actually messes with gravity, giving the puffle the ability to make objects levitate in midair, although it is only strong enough to pick up light objects that are a few inches or less away from them.
Like the black puffle of today, all puffles used to be able to burst into flame. As the years passed, though, the fur coats of the puffles grew thicker and eliminated the need for turning into a fireball. All the puffle breeds except for the black one lost the ability to control the organs that allowed them to ignite. They didn't lose the organs, though, which are explained in detail below.
All puffles have three special sacs: the water-filled transportation sac, a sac filled with potassium nitrate, and a sac filled with propane. The potassium nitrate and propane are biosynthesized from O-Berries that the puffles eat. When igniting, the black puffle releases the potassium nitrate and propane out of special pores in its skin. The potassium nitrate oxidizes the propane, causing it to burst into flame. The microscopic silica particles in puffle fur prevent the puffle itself from burning to ashes. All puffles have this combustion system, but only black puffles can control and use it at will. It has been discovered, though, that it is possible to train other breeds of puffle (besides black) to ignite like this.
Puffles are carbon-silicon-nitrogen-phosphorus-based organisms, whose common ancestors have adapted to Earth's biosphere ever since they arrived via meteorite.
Puffles use different base elements for different parts of their biochemistry. Silicon-based compounds constitute much of the structural components of a puffle's cell, such as the cytoskeleton and membranes. Microscopic silica particles are major components of puffle fur. Puffles incorporate carbon into their enzymes and signaling chemicals, just like normal carbon-based life forms. However, puffles metabolize both carbon- and nitrogen/phosphorus-based compounds, both of which are used to make energy for the puffle.
Puffles are mostly herbivores, but their diets differ drastically depending on whether they are living as pets, or in the wild.
Domesticated puffles eat a wildly varying range of foods, mostly foods rich in Carbohydrates but they also can eat foods such as salads, pie, bread, pastas, pizzas, cheeses, milk, yogurt, carrots, fruits, and, of course, anything derived from an O'Berry. Most are slight omnivores that can eat some meat like some shellfish for some sources of protein, but their digestive systems can not tolerate fish. It has also been tested that Puffles can eat other meat products such as pork and beef, but in small amounts only. In Club Penguin itself, Puffles have the opportunity to eat O-Berries, Carrots, Apples, Cookies, Bubble Gum, Cheese, and Cake.
Wild puffles mainly eat and forage O'Berries, and also notably carrots, but sometimes they eat wildflowers growing about. However, Orange Puffles have a very unique digestive system that differs from a regular puffle; it allows them to eat almost anything it can put in it's mouth. Orange Puffles have been noted for eating whole trees, bushes, and rocks.
The Puffle Family contains one genus of different species and subspecies.
- Rare Puffles (Moschomicrotherium pufflei rarus)
- Piffles (Moschomicrotherium rabidus)
- Paffles (Moschomicrotherium callidus)
- Poffles (Moschomicrotherium volatilis)
- Puffolians (Moschomicrotherium Tripudio)
- PuffleX (Moschomicrotherium pufflei exus)
- Abominable Snowpuffle (Moschomicrotherium bigicus)
- Cheesecracker Puffle (Moschomicrotherium cheeskrakerus)
- Yukkuri - Not exactly 100% like puffles, but their closest relatives are puffles.
- Ashien puffle - A highly intelligent subspecies of puffles, only living on the Island of Ashes.
- Main article: Ancient Puffles
Ancient Puffles are carniverous mammals that bear striking physical resmblance to dinosaurs. Their complete origins are unsure by scientists, and the only evidence of their existence have been on Club Penguin Island and parts of Tierra Del Fuego. It is believed that they originated from Tierra del Fuego but moved to Club Penguin Island during the Jurassic Period. Continental drift ultimately killed off their sources of meat, driving them to extinction. Thanks to Time Travel, some of them have been brought into the present and are now pets, which seem docile if provided with plenty of meat. DNA tests reveal that Ancient Puffles are distantly related to modern puffles, but is not an ancestor. Some believe that the Dino Puffles may be the ancestors to the mythical Dragon Puffles, but it is unsure.
Puffles are found in almost all places and islands around Antarctica. Here are some graphs that indicate the Puffle population density in certain regions.
The Approximate Puffle Population (including pets and wild puffles) in Antarctica. Click to enlarge.
The Approximate Puffle Population (including pets and wild puffles) in the Ninja Archipelago. Click to enlarge.
The Approximate Puffle Population (including pets and wild puffles) in Castilla and it's nearby islands. Click to enlarge.
The Approximate Puffle Population (including pets and wild puffles) in Liguria and it's nearby islands. Click to enlarge.
The Approximate Puffle Population (including pets and wild puffles) in Frankterre and it's nearby islands. Click to enlarge.
The Approximate Puffle Population (including pets and wild puffles) in Alemania and it's nearby islands. Click to enlarge.
The Approximate Puffle Population (including pets and wild puffles) in United Terra and it's nearby islands. Click to enlarge.
The Approximate Puffle Population (including pets and wild puffles) in Amataria and it's nearby islands. Click to enlarge.
The most common place to find wild puffles is North of Antarctica, mainly the Sub-Antarctic and the AU. This is a common place to find wild puffles because it is one of the first settled islands during Sigurd and Bacchus' adventure. Puffles can also be extremely found on Club Penguin Island, and deep in the forests of Eastshield and Trans-Antarctica.
The AU has many wild puffles, most of them from Rusca and Alemania. One day a mapper discovered an interesting thing about the puffle demographics. From Lisboagal begins a chain of islands that have the most puffles. The chain includes Lisboagal, Castilla, Alemania, Puffle'and, Snowprus, Liguria, Osterreach, and Rusca. This trail of islands is believed to be the migration of the original puffles, which made their way to Rusca.
Liguria, Puffle'and, and the United States of Antarctica are three nations with the largest intelligent puffle populations. Puffle'and ranks as #1, as it is completely inhabited by puffles. The USA ranks #2, and Liguria as #3. Intelligent puffles weren't common outside the Ninja Archipelago until the 1800's, when they begin to be ranked as civilians. However puffles weren't well observed until 2005, when a blue one was captured on Club Penguin. From there, each year a new puffle was discovered. Puffles used to be considered as "just animals", but are now receiving more freedom after many accomplishments.
Mattress Village is sometimes discredited for still treating puffles as pets and inferior creatures, therefore all puffles are banned from the town except for a a Free Puffle named Bailey. Some smart lawyers are now fighting for puffles' rights in the town.
- Puffles are taken care of by their mothers for about 3 months. After that, they are left to grow up on their own in the wild, or with a trusting penguin. Puffles younger than one year are the equivalent of chicks, while puffles older than one year and younger than 5 years are the equivalent of young penguin kids. Puffles mature as adults at about 5 to 6 years, and wild puffles have a life expectancy of 15-25 years, although the Von Injoface Family and Pets/Free Puffles appear to be able to live as long as a penguin because of the wider range of food and medicines available, although it is not always the case. It is interesting to note that puffles in civilization are increasing their life expectancy average by 5 years per generation because of adaptation.
- Because they are mammals, Puffles become pregnant when they have children. Puffles must have mates when having children, and each gender has it's different reproductive systems. In nature, wild male puffles may compete for other females in fights if there is any competition, otherwise puffles mate as they please. When a pair of puffles decide to have offspring, they go find a safe place (like a bush, a mountain area, or a grassland) to have children with the rest of the pack. When a female Puffle is pregnant, they typically do not do much and are not active, therefore the male must find food for the mate and the fetus as well as itself. The same would apply for pet and Free Puffles.
- Believe it or not, pet Blue puffles eat their weight in cookies each week!
- Many puffles state that moving around requires the puffle to tilt in the direction they want to go, much like a Segway or a tilt-sensor in a gaming system.
- Puffles have few natural enemies, (shown in the food web above) as they don't taste good due to their odd biochemistry. One of the few predators are the fabled and uncommon Zombie Puffles, and the other is the Killer Whale, who do not care for the taste of a puffle and they rarely eat puffles since most of them do not go into the water often. Wild and untamed Puffles that live in the Andís Mountains on the island of Beru are eaten by Penguins of Inkan ancestry as a traditional meal.
- Approximately 50% of the puffle population can speak in languages known to penguin-kind, and the other 50% can't. These percentages are constantly shifting around, but remain generally within the 45 to 55 percentile region. However, all puffles have IQs above 120, near the intelligence level of an average penguin (150 points). The percent of each color of puffle that can talk is different, as around 30% of red puffles can talk, but 70% of black puffles can. Different locations also have a different range, such as Club Penguin having 14% of puffles speaking, while 96% of the puffles in Puffle'and can talk.
- Amataria is one of the only countries that ban puffles from the region.