| Ross Island is an average quality article, but could be even better!
Take this article to the next level, and perhaps even further, by editing it, adding pictures, creating more sections, and adding links to make it a High Quality Article, or possibly an Ultra Quality Article!
Ross Island/AdelVille's flag
Map of Ross Island
|Location||Sub-Antarctic Islands, United States of Antarctica|
|Inhabitants||Adelie, Gentoo and Emperor Penguins|
Ross Island is a small Sub-Antarctic Island island located near the Ross Ice Shelf. Despite its small size, it is the 6th highest island in the world. Many Adelie Penguins live here. Ross Island is island formed by four volcanoes surrounded by the Ross Sea near the continent of Antarctica. The Island follows Ross Island Calibrated Time, the only place known to do so. The island's total size is 2,460 km2, or 950 sq miles, and as of 2016, there are about 68,000 penguins on the island, with 50,000 of them being natives.
While the island is a nice frozen habitat for the most part, there seem to be no puffles, as well as one active and three inactive volcanoes, and there was a substantial threat from Ross Seals until they and the penguin inhabitants made a fish sharing agreement.
Originally discovered in the 19th century, little is known about it as a Ross Island inhabitant claimed that "a ship came by and dropped a mysterious gigantic hairless mammal that set afoot and made a wooden sign that says Ross Island and left instantly". After the mysterious encounter, the Ross Island inhabitants, mainly Adelie Penguins became aggressive to strangers like the mysterious gigantic hairless mammal, other penguins and more.
Ross Island was rediscovered again, and claimed in 1975 by an Adelie Penguin explorer, Carl "Scallywag" Arnott, so that no big power could grab it. He noticed that there were other penguins inhabiting Ross Island too, so he asked them to help him make Ross Island a big country. Unfortunately, these natives were naturally aggressive and even threatened Carl if he didn't to go away. But, Carl made a "Friendship Policy", stating that he would rather befriend penguins than to threaten them. The natives agreed to the policy, and they helped Carl make Ross Island a country. In 1976, the citizens successfully founded AdelVille and began constructing buildings, houses, stores etc. They also elected Carl as the first leader of Ross Island, after which he gave himself the title of King.
In 1990, Carl went into retirement, and Jack McFurry became the next leader of Ross Island, though he changed the country to a democracy (with himself as president) and also adopted the current flag. In 1993, Puffle'and managed to capture Ross Island, and they turned it into the Dependency of Ross Island, with McFurry as the Governor-General. In 1999, Ross Island joined the call to arms against Puffle'and. Once the Antarctic War was over, Ross Island wanted to become a state of the USA, or their own country again, similar to Acadia. However, they eventually settled on joining the Sub-Antarctic Islands state, with AdelVille being a city (and the unofficial capital of the island).
- AdelVille - The capital and only city on Ross Island. The entire island is considered as suburbs/rural area around AdelVille.
- The Iggies - A big place where igloos are located. Located on rural Ross Island, it takes up most of the North/East part of the island.
- Rough Ross Mine - A surface mine between Mount Erebus and Mount Terror, it has a decent amount of natural resources. A lot of the natives ("friendly pirates") work here so that they can steal a portion of the resources they mine.
- Ross Island Port - Ross Island's port and is the only place for you to get safely in and out of Ross Island. AdelVille has a nice beach for swimming, but it's bad for sailing in. Near the port is also the place where the "Get Out" sign is located.
- AdelVille City Airport- Is the international airport of the city. It was revived in 2006 as an alternate way for travelers to safely get to and from Ross Island.
- The "GET OUT" sign. This sign is in a memory of primitive Adelie Penguins, who used to be aggressive.
- Cape Crozier/Native Adelie Reservation- The Native Adelie Penguin reservation takes up the eastern area of the island, all the way to Mount Terror. A majority of the island's 50,000 or so native Ross Islanders live in this region (not officially a city). Since the natives have lived similar to pirates for a long time, the reservation looks similar to a pirate/sea merchant town. However, it's quite a friendly place to go since all of the natives have become nice.
- Volcanoes- The island is home to four volcanoes, three inactive, and one active. They've all taken on the look of mountains now, though Mt. Erebus could erupt at any time.
- Mount Bird- Located near AdelVille, Mount Bird is thought to be named after the first penguins who climbed it. It's an inactive volcano, and only adds to AdelVille's scenery.
- Mt. Erebus- The largest volcano on the island, and the only one that's active, it is rumored that the volcano last erupted sometime during the time of Olde Antarctica. If it were to erupt, Ross Island Port and The Iggies would be in extreme danger.
- Mt. Terra Nova- The smallest of the island's volcanoes, Mt. Terra Nova is thought to hold valuable resources. The Ross Islanders are debating on if they should expand the Rough Ross Mine into the volcano or not. Many are against, especially the natives, saying that it will make the volcano active again.
- Mount Terror- So named by the native Adelies due to its intense climate and toughness to climb, Mount Terror is beautiful but very hard to go up or around.
- The Seal Lands- The island's southern peninsula, it is considered as a wasteland by the Ross Islanders, and is usually treated as forbidden land. Though the Ross Seals that live there are friendly now, the combination of the unforgiving climate and sighting of hordes of other hairless mammals here keeps all of the Ross Island citizens away.
Today, the economy of Ross Island as a whole depends on the fishing and mining industries, as well as tourism from scientists that come to check out the four volcanoes on the island.
Today, Ross Island uses the Fish currency of the USA. However, the natives still sometimes use the original overinflated currency, the Pebble. From 1976 to 2001, Ross Island had a different currency system, but in 2001 the "Ross Island Currency Crisis" hit, so the island officially switched to USA pebbles. With the old system, actual fish were used instead of coins or bills, representing different values. A sardine was worth 25 cents, Anchovy was 1 coin/dollar, Cod was 5 dollars, Herring 10, Mackerel 20, and Halibut 50, and the great Mullet was worth a whopping 1000 coins. One reason the currency crisis happened is because it was too underinflated- such as miners only getting two mullets after they mined large amounts of gold or other ores.
The native Adelie Penguins are usually known as "good pirates". They've lived a lifestyle similar to that of a pirate since they became hostile in the 19th century, but have only recently reformed to living like good pirates. If Rockhopper ever needs a few extra crew members, he'll most likely go to Ross Island (or Club Penguin). There are about fifty thousand natives on the island, a majority of which live in the Eastern "Native Reservation", also known as Cape Crozier. Most of the island's other Adelie Penguins live in The Iggies or AdelVille. The Island also has a small amount of Emperor and Gentoo penguins. About half of the Emperor penguins actually live in Cape Crozier, while the other Emperor and most of the Gentoo penguins live in AdelVille or The Iggies. The island seems to be home to no Puffles at all, though that might change since some citizens are starting to purchase pet puffles.
The island is also home to a decent amount of Ross Seals, estimated at 800-1600 of them.
The waters around the island are also home to a ton of fish, a lot of which live hidden to the naked eye under the Ross Ice Shelf. Some of the various fish and marine life species are: Fluffies, tuna, Cod, Mackerel, Salmon, Anchovy, Sardines, and a lot of Blue Squid. The fish are jointly shared by the penguins and the seals. Most of the fishing is done by the penguins, but they give the seals half of what they catch, and in return, the seals work as the Ross Island Coast Guard, the island's only real defense.
- In addition to the various fish listed above, the island's mine also has a decent amount of minerals and ores.
- Though the whole island isn't really a city, most of Antarctica considers the whole island as part of AdelVille, or the whole island as one city (Ross Island).