| Tropicapolis is a high quality article, which is awesome!
Please continue to expand this article as much as you can, with more sections, text, images, trivia and anything else you can think of to make it even better!
to listen to Tropicapolis's theme!
The city's flag (top) and an image of the city at sunset (bottom).
|Neighbourhoods||Del Tropico, West Tropicapolis, Aguazona, Sandyvilla, Covery, Tuxlado|
|Inhabited species||Emperor Penguins, Adelie Penguins and Puffles|
|Foreign name||Tropicapolis, Tropicapole|
|– Founder||Emperor and Adelie Penguins|
|Time zone||TPST (Tropicalian Standard Time)|
|Summer time||Same as above.|
|Part of the Tropicalian series of articles.|
|Provinces, Islands and Territories|
|Wars and Conflicts|
|Flag of the Western Union|
|Treaties and Events|
|Summits and Conferences|
Tropicapolis (Spanish: Tropicapoli), formally the The City of Tropicapolis is a federal district and the capital city of Tropicalis. It has it's own bus system and subway and is home to the Tropicapolis International Airport which is shared with Beaksledge, a neighbouring city within the Greater Tropicapolis Area. Tropicapolis was originally unnamed and mostly un-established, only properly founded and named Tropicapolis after Pengtivius XIII became the first president and officially renamed the country. The city has a mostly clean environment, as littering is considered an offense and the streets are usually cleaned frequently.
Tropicapolis is also a major hub in Tropicalis for shipping, and most items that come from overseas are exported to Tropicapolis before being sent off to their intended locations by either air or road. Tropicapolis is known for many things, such as it's park, it's many buildings and skyscrapers, as well as being the capital of Tropicalis. Tropicapolis has more skyscrapers than most cities in Tropicalis, and is in fact rated second only to be beaten by Lagois City. Tropicapolis is also among one of the oldest settlements in the country, being established in 678 AD as a small village by colonists.
- 1 History
- 2 Districts
- 3 Locations
- 4 Geography
- 5 Architecture
- 6 Cuisine
- 7 Demographics
- 8 Transportation
- 9 Penguins & Puffles from Tropicapolis
- 10 Sister Cities
- 11 Gallery
- 12 Trivia
- 13 See Also
Foundation & Expansion
Tropicapolis was originally founded by the Sphenisdean Empire during the early years of the first millennium. Back then, Tropicapolis saw little development as the penguins had started working on creating more cities and towns and Tropicapolis was left alone for a few decades until it finally started to expand. By the start of the second millennium, Tropicapolis became a small, yet sparsely populated town. In 1310, the country had chosen it's leader, Pengtivius I who chose to expand Tropicapolis and greatly enlarge it. Tropicapolis continued to build over the many years, and sooner or later, became on of the country's much larger cities.
After the discovery of Gernomia, the Viking Penguins helped to expand Tropicapolis even further, helping them extend the ports and piers, renovate and upgrade houses as well as introduce different building material for the workers to use to create more unique and stronger buildings. After over a hundred years or so, Tropicapolis was soon the second largest city in the entire country, beaten only by what would soon be called Lagois City. Tropicapolis was instead given the title of capital in 1590. The city continued to grow and received boosts when they agreed to merge with nearby towns and villages.
Tropicalian Civil Wars
After the Pengstado rebels proposed to let themselves assemble their own country and threatened to attack should the government reject their proposal, a war started to take place, as the government had disagreed with their idea. After some the rebels sailed into the city's harbour at night as part of the plan, they prepared to attack, until Pablo Pengio raised the alarm and alerted the soldiers. The result was a massive battle that occurred in the harbour and in the nearby regions known only as the Attack on Tropicapolis.
After a week of struggling to repel the rebels, the rebels were finally defeated, and retreated to Pengstado and other outlying islands. After agreeing to assassinate the current president and secretly take his place by surprise, the rebels made their way to Tropicapolis and attacked the president and his family, with his wife and son barely escaping. After they officially seized power and renamed the country Pinguinia, Tropicapolis had it's name changed to Pinguinia City. Tropicapolis became a dangerous location with the corrupt government in charge, and had some of it's buildings taken down and destroyed.
After the country was taken back, Tropicapolis was rebuilt from the severe damage that the rebels had caused it in their final attempt to protect the capital. The Lagois Mansion was later built in the city in 1903 as a private residence for the leader's family and himself.
Immigration & Further Expansion
Tropicapolis' population continued to grow during the 1950's when several penguins started entering the country from abroad and overseas to live there, giving the country a boost including many Zhouese immigrants, who all started living together in a part of the city which would soon be known as Zhoutown. The nearby towns and foundations such as Sandyvilla, Goldharbour, Twin Island Town merged into the city and became part of it with half of Goldharbour and Twin Island Town being combined into a district and slowly morphed into what is now the Suburban District. In 1965, Tuxlado expanded out further and new areas of the city were opened.
July 2016 Tropicapolis Attacks
Tropicapolis was attacked by surprise during the War on Terror, which was mostly unsuspected by most of the public, as the police system kept criminals in check, and crime was very low in most of the region. Attacks were made on a street in Downtown, injuring many penguins and leaving a small number in critical condition, though luckily, the police intervened quickly and everyone survived after the incident was over.
Tropicapolis has 8 districts which can range from being barely any noticeable on the city's map to taking up a quarter of the city altogether. The districts are listed down below:
- Del Tropico - One of the more populated districts of Tropicapolis. More densely populated and massive urban area usually the source and majority of the city's traffic jams, fast food restaurants, nightclubs, hotels, one beach, apartments and much more. Not as big as Lagois City, though. It has quite a few McDoodle's, Dank Burgers and Burger Khans too.
- Downtown - Many trams run through this neighbourhood, as well as more taller buildings and busier streets. Downtown is also home to TSIS' headquarters, the Pollyturris.
- West Tropicapolis - Has a large shopping streets with much of it's culture being more foreign-based due to it's sub-regions primarily inhabited by penguins of foreign ethnicity.
- Zhoutown - Tropicapolis has it's very own Zhoutown like some other cities around Antarctica. The buildings here have more Zhouese architecture than the anywhere else in the city.
- Aguazona - Home to a large market area, shops, restaurants and many piers that make very frequent ferry trips throughout Tropicalis and to Beaksledge.
- Sandyvilla - Known for Sandyvilla beach which is a large tourist attraction and hotspot. Lots of clean water.
- Covery - Home to most of the richer penguins. Fantastic views and has a few high-rated hotels. The Lagois Mansion is located here.
- Tuxlado - Least populated. Sparsely populated and 30% of it is pure jungle. The road to the airport goes through here. The population is estimated to be roughly around 80,000 or more.
- Suburban District - The more sub-urban parts of the city, located north.
- Pengtivius Pier - A pier terminal that local ferries use to cross the harbour and also travel to other nearby cities, towns and locations. Named in honour of Pengtivius I.
- Starfish Harbour - A large area with many places that smaller boats, yachts and speedboats are docked. Despite it's size, it is not counted as an official region of Tropicapolis. Starfish Harbour takes up part of Aguazona.
- Tropicapolis Beach - One of the main tourist attractions. Tropicalis Beach is located in Del Tropico.
- The Polyturris - The Polyturris serves as both an office tower for meetings (especially government related and to discuss relations with other countries) and as a base for the Tropicalian Intelligence Agency which mainly comprises of the top levels. Because TSIS has a partnership with the EPF, agents also sometimes come to there when on missions in Tropicalis, whether it be a simple reconnaissance mission or an international-level war against several countries.
- Pablo Pengio Lighthouse - A lighthouse located not far from the beach, named in honour of Pablo Pengio.
- Tropicapolis Central Park - A large, grassy area where most penguins go to for enjoyment.
- Falcon Tower - A skyscraper and office building, known for being the highest tower in the city, at 75 stories. It has an observation deck at the very top of the tower where visitors and tourists can observe the city from a higher level. It began construction in 1958 and finished a year later.
- Falcon Plaza - An area known for it's large complex full of shops and restaurants. It is located below Falcon Tower.
- Tropicapolis Central Hospital - The largest hospital in the city located in Del Tropico.
- Lagois Mansion - The residence of the president and Wikipenguino45. Located in Covery.
- Tropicapolis International Airport - The city's airport. Neighbouring cities use this airport as well.
Tropicapolis is situated near monutains of jungles, which surround most of the city that is built on land and is also located to the south of the Avian Sea. Tropicapolis has many trees in the city, almost all of which are palm trees, coconut trees or other tropical variants. Most of the city is built on more flatter and smoother terrain located beside the mountain, facing the sea. The climate is suitable enough for plants to grow as well. Most penguins here are used to the weather and don't really mind the heat, especially the Southern Kanta Penguins who's feathers are engineered for warmer weather. Parts of the city were artificially built, such as the pier and the airport which was required to expand outwards to fit with the use of building materials.
Tropicapolis has a few rivers running through it, though most are short and lead to the sea. The Tropicapolis River comes from the sea and leads to the sea and has two openings which unite further south to form a small lake then continue back to the sea. The city also has a lake located further north and 6 islands not adhered to land. Sea Trader's Island is home to Pablo Pengio Island and is located on the south eastern area of the map.
Buildings in Tropicalis are made of made of a wide variety of objects, from bricks, steel, concrete, glass as well as many other types of metal and building materials. Tropicapolis contains several buildings displaying modern architecture as well as buildings purposely designed with older, more Puffish-looking architecture which are primarily seen in parks and suburban areas. Falcon Tower is currently the tallest building in the city, with a total of 80 stories (including the ground floor and underground floors) and a popular tourist destination for sightseeing. Falcon Tower's antennae is capable of conducting electricity, and during thunderstorms is able to generate extra power. Many buildings more closer to the city's core are taller, and are responsible for accommodating at least 50% of the city's 3,000,000 residents because of their capacity due to their tallness. The city's Zhoutown also has very distinctive Zhouese architecture the more farther into the district. Solar panels are often seen on top of the city's buildings, helping to produce additional energy, too. Tropicapolis is also known for being very "green" as the city is home to many trees and plant life, which is also sometimes integrated with the city's architecture to help promote a more cleaner and greener lifestyle and reduce pollution. Palm trees are often seen among many of the city's avenues and streets, too.
Many restaurants of different types and categories are located all around the city, including countless popular Antarctic-wide branches such as Taco Ball, Burger Khan, Absurd Donuts, SubDay, Pizza 7, Eastshield Fried Fish, Fisch and Chips and (unfortunately) McDoodle's. Tropicapolis also contains many of their own exclusive restaurants and cafés, many of which can be found in Falcon Plaza. Below is a list of how many restaurant branches the city has.
- Fisch and Chips (3 branches)
- Dank Burgers (4 branches)
- Taco Ball (2 branches)
- Pizza 7 (5 branches)
- McDoodle's (3 branches)
- Eastshield Fried Fish (7 branches)
- Burger Khan (4 branches)
As of late 2016, Tropicapolis is home to roughly 3,000,000 residents. 15% of which are Adelies, 23% of which are Emperor Penguins, 6% of which are Southern Kanta Penguins and the 51% of which are other penguins belonging to ethnic groups, puffles and other species.
Several hundred kilometres of roads serve Tropicapolian citizens with roughly 1,000,000 penguins using them every daily. The city also has many highways and even an underwater tunnel leading to the other side of the city. The city also has bridges over rivers and leading to other islands part of the city. Tropicapolis is also known throughout the country for having what many call a "spaghetti junction" which links Downtown, West Tropicalis and Aguazona together. Major roads and streets include Guin Road, Guin Road West, Regional Link Road, Puerto Avenue and Palmera Road which spans all the way to the Tropicapolis International Airport.
Tropicapolis is served by the Tropicapolis International Airport which also serves nearby cities such as Beaksledge and opened in the year 2000 after the old one, Pengtivius V Regional Airport was shut down and demolished in order to make way for a bigger and better airport. Tropcailian Airlines, the country's national airline service which runs all around the continent but primarily functions in this airport. Tropicapolis International Airport is one of the busiest and more larger airports in Antarctica, and was built to hold a large capacity of passengers due to the heavy traffic of the capital. The airport is also very clean, due to the fact that it is closer to the country's government, therefore the law (which disallows litter and support a clean environment) is enforced in the city more than anywhere else in the country.
Tropicapolis has a tram system known as the Tropicapolis Tramways System with trams supplied by TramSport™ which runs throughout most of the city especially in regions such as Del Tropico, West Tropicapolis and around Starfish Harbour. The trams run off of electricity like most trams, and serve over 500,000 passengers daily. Most residents take the tram to travel to closer locations as it is cheaper as well. Trams are more popular in Tropicapolis' suburban areas, where penguins can take them to travel to and back from the city as an alternative to driving or taking the bus.
The city has a government-approved mass transit railway system called the Tropicapolis Metro which extended throughout most of the city and gets the most passengers (an estimated average of 1.2 million per day). It was founded in the early 1950's when the government permitted the construction of a railway system that could get penguins around town quicker and easily since the population was rising and a more convenient transportation system was needed. Today, Tropicapolis has around 40 stations including a link to the airport and to Pengtivius Pier. Penguins are also able to take a light rail created by the company to get to Beaksledge.
MetroBus, the local bus service, supplies buses to the city which are after being search and tested to be fully functional, get distributed throughout the city for penguins to use after receiving a driver at the bus terminal that it is transported to. Tropicapolis' bus system runs throughout virtually all of the city with the exception of the islands that are part of the city's harbour. Each specific route that a bus follows is given it's own unique code containing 1-3 numbers with the occasional addition of a letter (e.g. "102", "34A", 52H"). MetroBus has a total fleet of 2,500 buses whether they're stationary, in service or not in use. The buses usually return to bus depots or terminals around the city once the driver's shift is over and may be handed over to the next driver. Bus terminals are located closer to the center of the city and can be found in Del Tropico, Zhoutown, West Tropicapolis and Aguazona where penguins can get their buses at.
Penguins & Puffles from Tropicapolis
Known individuals from, born in, currently living or closely associated in Tropicapolis are listed below.
- Penguino Lagois IV - The president of Tropicalis.
- Wikipenguino45 - An explorer and adventurer and the son of the president.
- Terry Van Furry - Wikipenguino's puffle, who is known for accompanying him on his various adventures.
- General Ernest Hogan - A high-ranked member of the Tropicalian military.
- Tropicapolis' Metro has it's own Railways level, you need to deliver 400 passengers from the South Pole City level and delivering 500 passengers unlocks the Snowden level.
- Taco Ball is very popular in Tropicapolis, yet some still worry about Fat and refrain from repeatedly eating there.