|High Kingdom of Folkmead
Hach Kengrech o Volkmehd
|Motto: Fir Keng en Mehd
For King and Country
|Anthem: Land of Hope and Glory
Map of the Kingdom of Folkmead
(and largest city)
|Official languages||Folk English, Latin|
|-||King||Charles II Esterstone|
|-||Chief Minister||Jeffrey Worsley|
|-||Bill of Independence||March 14, 1737|
Appr. 5,100/sq mi
|No Daylight Savings|
|Drives on the||Left|
|The Flag of the United Provinces|
|Wars and Battles|
The High Kingdom of Folcantry (Folkish Hach Kengrech o Volkmehd, Latin: Altum Regnum Folcantri) is a United Provinces overseas territory located north of Freezeland and southeast of the Ninja Archipelago. It is a parliamentary monarchy, though only in theory as the king has the right to reject any laws he does not like and has the absolute power to dismantle the Parliament. The current king is Charles II of the House of Esterstone, who was coronated on July 11, 2013. The Chief Minister is Jeffrey Worsley, who was appointed by the king on 28 February 2018 and is a member of the Conservative People's Party.
Folcantry has a long and turbulent history of wars and destruction. It was founded by tribes of Germanic origin who called themselves the Engels and Soxens in 546. Over seven duchies were created on the island at that time, the three most notable ones being Grassox, Myrrock and Wayblock. The most significant and powerful one came to be the Duchy of Myrrock, later Kingdom, which by 917 managed to have the whole island succumb to its rule, creating the Kingdom of Folcantry.
The Kingdom of Folcantry would then raid the neighboring large islands such as Solisle and Furness in the 12th century. The kingdom continued to expand, but so did its troubles. The kingdom was torn apart in the 14th century into three factions - Galvantor, Termontor and Chalcantor. Termontor won the Twenty Summers War as it is known in Folcantry and the country was in ruins - this paved the way for an invasion by the Osloven Empire / Snowiny, to which Folcantry finally surrendered in 1537 after nearly two centuries of war and famine.
Folcantry spent the next 200 years entirely under Snowinn domination and during this time many rebellions were attempted to finally bring down the high penguin rule. Many folk songs, such as "O, Farleyshire Springs" were written during this time and remain remembered and reverted to this day in Folkish culture. Resistance against foreign rule became such a big and popular theme in Folkish culture that in 1937, on the issue of the 200th anniversary of the Bill of Independence, the month of March was proclaimed Folkish Culture Month.
In 1737 Folcantry declared independence and fought the war officially known as the Folkish War of Independence but in Folcantry known as the Old Man Billy's War, "Old Man Billy" being a metaphor for old people who resisted Snowinn rule who were not alive to see the day their nation finally woke up and began its fight for independence. Old Man Billy's War ended by 1741 and the Folcantry was once again restored as a free and independent nation, this time as a Republic. However, the country was soon forced once again to succumb to the Snowinns in the 19th century after turmoil which resulted in a monarchy being installed too, and in the 20th century they were granted the status of a free territory by Snowiny, a status they retain to this day.
The country's history began upon the arrival of the Engels and Soxens in 546. They settled all over the island and created all sorts of kingdoms and duchies such as Grassox, Myrrock and Wayblock, which were the three most significant kingdoms. The three kingdoms would constantly form alliances with each other to fight others and then break alliances with each other to fight each other and again and again - Myrrock had leaders that cleverly managed to manipulate this constant shift of alliances and by 812 had defeated all other tribes on the island.
The Kingdom of Myrrock fell into a state of disarray in 871 and was divided into several big duchies. Wars were ongoing for nearly 50 years before the island had been reunited once again in 917 and the Kingdom of Folcantry has been formed - the folk's country. The country was incredibly unstable at first and was the victim of several invasions by foreign nations. The Oslovens attempted to conquer the country in the 12th century shortly after having conqured Candvia - Oslovens have held Folcantry under their control for over 70 years before they were driven out of the island.
In the 12th century Folcantry conquered the islands west and successfully united Folk's Archipelago into one country. The country began to flourish - until the 14th century, when the country was divided into three factions - Galvantor, Termontor and Chalcantor. The Twenty Summers War lasted for twenty years (as the name suggests) and ended in a decisive Termontor victory and the Termontor dynasty taking complete control of this island archipelago. There were attempts to stabilize the country and return to a state of normality, but the country never did return to a state of normality - a few decades later, the Osloven Empire invaded Folcantry - they failed, but they did invaded them again and again for seven times until they finally succumbed in 1537.
Folcantry was put under the control of the Osloven Empire and the Folkish people had barely any autonomy. Various resistance movements have been created over the 200 years, all of which failed to achieve the ultimate goal of complete liberation from the Osloven Empire. Poetry was written and nationalism stared rising and in 1737 the country rebelled against Osloven rule. Old Man Billy's War, as it was called, had many key battles, including the Battle of Townshend on Merry and the Battle of Westbend - both of which resulted in decisive Folkish victories. The Treaty of Castleshire was signed in 1742 and the Osloven Empire officially agreed to give Folcantry independence.
Folcantry decided to organize itself into a Republic with a Stadtholder on the top. The Stadtholder gradually got more and more power and by the 1770s had absolute power. In 1783 William III was crowned King of the Folk's Country and the Kingdom of Folcantry came into existence. A few decades later, Folcantry fell to the Snowinns once again, and today has the status of a free territory in the United Provinces.
Folcantry's spoken and main official language is Folk English or Folkish as it is known in Folcantry. It is a language that is clearly very, very closely related to English, which is why there's a debate whether it's actually a variant of English spoken in Folcantry or if it is a language of it's own. Here's a sample conversation in Folkish:
- Gedeg, ag ben Tscheffrie Wurslie ed ag ben ze Schief Mensteh o ze Hach Kengrech o Volkmehd. Ag wod lech die schtart be schteten zat ag ben pried die serb deu diedeg. Wer hebe ei en lud die do zo ag wod lech fir oz die git schrete die ze punt, schal wer? Ferste, lad oz begen wid ze feter trudel. He bod deu? Da deu hebe zimting die zei, ser, ur do deu nicht?
- Wei, gedeg, agiz, da sit ged die be her en frunte o de kommitte. Zo, ahm, ferste ting wer ned die do sit diskoss Pengolien ankrohment opun er territorie.
- Ia, zasit recht. Zei hebe bein den zim ver bed schtapf zesse deges. Ez arme, ze terentz arme, sit hiden west.
- Niged! Wer ned die fess zes ozen possibel. Er nazion het nin allies - Ag wod zei Kandvien, Akadien ed Schnewien (Esserlond), zes Achnitode Provenzes, kod be grot alles.
- Schnewien? Nicht possibel! Zei oppressod' oz fir zwe hundrecht geres ed ne deu went oz die alle zen? Nin!
- Marschall het elweg bein paranoide o zes Schnewiens, donicht wore abet en.
- De kant hed frum zes Schnewiens firave deu patetik esskuse fir ei marschall!
- Atragfrieded, tschentolmenn! Lad oz nicht feit diedag!
- Hei kan ag nicht feit wen zes moron sit ei verreter die er mehd?!
- Deu patetik lusser! Nin wundar deu lusst der leg en ze krieg!
- Zasit da, deu stick o paffel! Ag woll kell deu!
Here is the translation of the sample conversation in Folkish.
- Good day, I am Jeffrey Worsley and I am the Chief Minister of the High Kingdom of Folcantry. I would like to start by stating that I am proud to serve you today. We have a lot to do so I would like for us to get straight to the point, shall we? First, let us begin with the future trade deal. How about you? Do you have something to say, sir, or do you not?
- Well, good day, I guess, it is good to be here in front of the committee. So, um, first thing we need to do is discuss Pengolian encroachment upon our territory.
- Yes, that's right. They've been doing some very bad stuff these days. His army, the tyrant's army, is heading west.
- Not good! We need to fix this as soon as possible. Our nation has no allies - I'd say Candvia, Acadia and Snowiny, the United Provinces, could be great allies.
- Snowiny?! Not possible! They oppressed us for two hundred years and now you want us to ally them? No!
- Marshall's always been paranoid of the Snowinns, don't worry about him.
- Shut up!
- You cannot hide from the Snowinns forever you pathetic excuse for a marshall!
- Order and peace, gentlemen! Let us not fight today!
- How can I not fight when this moron is a traitor to our country?!
- You pathetic loser! No wonder you lost your leg in the war!
- That is it, you piece of puffle! I will kill you!
As you can see, it is very hard to understand what the text is saying and once you see the translation, nearly everything but a few words such as mehd meaning land and verreter meaning traitor look familiar.