User blog:Ninjinian/Top Militaries Revamp
Fellow users and I have come to the agreement that the Top Militaries of Antarctica table needs redoing and must be calculated in a fair, unbiased way, along with a new layout. With the tables that I have created, the changes to the layout include splitting the 'Country' column that merged the Rank and Country into their own respective columns; the Picture of Army/Soldier column has been taken out and the Notes column has been taken out but the Notes are accessible if the user hovers their mouse over the respective country flag. What the current table fails to outline (it may have considered these factors, I'm not too sure, but they haven't been outlined) is numerous key factors such as the Number of Soldiers in the armies and Technological Advancement Status (T.A.S.) (meaning how advanced their army is in artillery and technology) (more factors are being considered and can be added to the table in the future). All of this will therefore result into a more cleaner, calculated table without any 'disputed ties' that is more appealing to view as well.
For now this is just an idea that I'm putting here so that the users can come and check out; I'd probably have to ask permission to automatically add it on the main page myself, so for now it's here to view. Leave what you think under the Comments heading.
What would also be helpful is if you do see your country in the list, please edit and add figures to the respective columns. Not all country articles outline how many soldiers they have, for example. (Also, it would make my life much easier).
Top Militaries of Antarctica
Here are the Top Militaries of Antarctica for all government sponsored sovereign nations.
Revamp w/ unchanged positions
|Rank||Country|| # of
|1||United States of Antarctica||——||——|
|3|| Shops Island
| 5,000,000 (Mun.)
|13||Ed Island|| 4,000,000
Revamp w/ changed positions
Note: Not final placements; Some changes are random experimental swaps based on what I think.
|Rank||Country|| # of
| T.A.R. |
|1||United States of Antarctica||11,000,000||81.5|
|8||Ed Island|| 6,000,000
The factors that contribute to the Technology Advancement Rating:
- Degree of modern weaponry
- Quantity of artillery
- Effectiveness / Breakthroughs of lab research
- Efficiency of projects
- Level of sustainability
- Influences / Impact of tech on Antarctica
- That's something that needs to be worked out; for now I'm considering a decimal rating scale from 1-100, so you add in something like "72.7" or whatever. If I come up with a better system, or if anyone's got a better idea we could switch to that, but for now a 1-100 scale. I'd say the # of Soldiers column is more important for now. -- ¤ (User page!) (Talk page.) 13:11, 13 July 2015 (UTC)
You need to fix how they are ranked in the way the table was constructed. It looks like:
when you press the arrow. How does wikipedia do it?
- It counts 1, 10, 11, etc. since they all start with 1. It's a fault of MediaWiki, not the chart. --User:EDFan12345 17:03, 13 July 2015 (UTC)
Looks ok, but I don't think we should leave it collapsed when it's reorganized (if you planned on doing that). Also, size doesn't always equal power- I have a few possible disputes for positions.
- UnitedTerra. They have a billion citizens, like Zhou and the USA, but I'm not sure, how advanced is their technology? That would be the true deciding factor.
- Ed island/Puffle'and. I know Ed's strong, but could it really defeat puffle'and? Not sure
- Freezeland. They do have the numbers to defeat Snowiny (50 million population, but military service is voluntary), but they don't have the technology, mostly using sword and outdated tactics, while their most advanced weapons are probably snowball guns. Not sure if they should be ahead of snowiny, since the military probably isn't very big (as joining the military isn't compulsory). So overall, I think it depends on the size of Freezeland's military.
- Depending on Amataria's population, and number of soldier bots, they might even surpass Freezeland.
- Polaris- According to The article, Polaris has no official army, they're not allowed to raise one (they are protected by both Snowzerland and Castilla). However, the Polaris United Forces (unofficial army) has about 100,000 members. So, I'd suggest lowering Polaris.
- Liguria. When I was first reading the article about Liguria being completely mob-controlled, I realized my thoughts of this being a better military were misplaced as they'd be very unorganized and stuff. HOWEVER, the article later states that Liguria's military is good... 2 million penguins in the military, and they have new, high tech stuff. So, if those are true I would suggest placing Liguria at least above Lisboagal (idk their population), possibly higher.
- Magyaria. I don't see anything about Magyaria's military on the article, nor their population. So how is it known that they even have a military better than Emperorlands and Dorkugal? If they do, how is it not better than that of the Chinstrap Armed Forces? Idk
- Dorkugal. Dorkugal has no standing army (two ships), according to the article. However, they somehow amassed their own large empire, which should count for something (or the protectorates should be on the table above them). Also, although they have no standing army, their technological prowess is unmatched- they could probably defeat people without having an army. Bringing down defense systems, turning weapons on their owners (any war bots- amataria, snowzerland, etc), etc. So I'm not sure what to do with Dorkugal...
- Maybe Terra Federation should be here as well? I'm not sure how strong their military is.
Just my thoughts. Though, I do like the notes section on the current table to say how each military is in their position. Should this table have all national armies on it eventually? WannaTalk? 17:49, 13 July 2015 (UTC)
- "size doesn't always equal power" we only finished 5 countries and you already say that... --Penstubal (Talk) (Edits) 17:51, 13 July 2015 (UTC)
- I've been reading for about a half hour, I didn't see any of the changes Ninj made until I saved the edit. Also after I saw that I decided I'm not going on IRC since you'd probably roast me (you're already criticizing my comment on-wiki, so I don't need an IRC argument). Anyways, to Ninj, I don't think Snowiny is that powerful. Not powerful enough to beat Margate, and certainly not Munijoch or Puffle'and. WannaTalk? 17:56, 13 July 2015 (UTC)
- I see your 3 MB comment and raise my own, speaking on Ninj's behalf
- UT is a pretty tough nation, even if they aren't in every war page ever
- It isn't exactly hard to bomb a bunch of furballs
- Penguin wave(?) tactics aren't very effective
- Not sure about Amataria, would have to ask Amigo
- Agree about Polaris
- I'd have to read Liguria's page
- We're assuming they do have a standing military
- Two ships is still a military
- Terra Federation is being added
- :^) --User:EDFan12345 17:58, 13 July 2015 (UTC)
I dont have specific numbers for Snowzerland's and Castilla's armies, but Castilla has more soldiers than Snowzerland while Snowzerland has slightly more advanced technology and weaponry.
Actually, Margate would be one position higher than the original unchanged version after the annexation of Mullinst. Many of the Kaljernerians (a species of penguins on Mullinst) will be joining the MAF, raising the amount of Margatian troops on Antarctica to around 3-6 million, way above the original 1.1 million (the Rearmament Program hasn't ended yet when I added 900,000 soldiers to the Western Union article). Actually, there's millions more soldiers on Mullinst to protect it but since that'll cause an unbalance, I am not gonna count that. As for TAR, Margate will probably be around 81/82 with the recently purchased Shopper arms (as well as some advanced weaponry captured from space pirates at Mullinst's moons). With all those soldiers and heavy weaponry, Margate will be making a switch to new military tactics such as Blitzkrieg too. --Slender Talk to me 10:54, 14 July 2015 (UTC)
The only thing that needs to be decided now is how the Techological Advancement Rating is going to work; firstly how it's represented as a figure and how it's calculated in the first place. I think the decimal rating scale from 1-100 is the best option, along with allocating rankings to these different chunks of ratings that would be equivalent to a scale of "Poor - Decent - Average - Excellent - Strong". In terms of calculation, this method shouldn't be that complicated and must be a concrete system that is implemented for militaries across Antarctica. I'm guessing this will group numerous factors + key details of every military (e.g. lab research, how modern the weaponry is, quantity of weaponry + other key resources). Once we've come up with an exact criteria I guess an average will be calculated from that and then be converted to a T.A.R. (somehow). Sound good? -- ¤ (User page!) (Talk page.) 17:19, 14 July 2015 (UTC)
In addition we could put a 3rd or 4th columns detailing # of military personnel (soldiers + non combatant members) and amount of $ spend on the military Mectrixctic Talk to me! See the articles I worked on.. see my 5,685 edits! 17:27, 14 July 2015 (UTC)
For articles with actual numbers for military personnel, I think we should be following those numbers... WannaTalk? 00:24, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
- I checked every article to see if they had a figure and used it if they did (e.g. Culldrome Isles). -- ¤ (User page!) (Talk page.) 16:44, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
Could we moved Chinstrap so it's at least under Malesia, because since it's in the the Western Union, it has better technology and military help from Snowiny?
- A justifiable reason for a shift up; moved just above Malesia. -- ¤ (User page!) (Talk page.) 03:22, 16 July 2015 (UTC)
For the tech ratings, IMO, Polaris should be lower (as it doesn't really have highly advanced technology) and Snowzerland & Castillia should be bumped up (possibly higher than Rusca and Zhou?). -- Chub777(Talk Page) 06:26, 27 July 2015 (UTC)
- Don't forget who gave you that technology and who can take it back. Especially when that country is above you. -Wonderweez (Talk · Contribs) 09:29, 27 July 2015 (UTC)