| Verpomia is an average quality article, but could be even better!
Take this article to the next level, and perhaps even further, by editing it, adding pictures, creating more sections, and adding links to make it a High Quality Article, or possibly an Ultra Quality Article!
| Blast from the Past
Verpomia describes events that happened in the Past, as researched by the Time Agency. Be aware that these events are not in the Present or the Future, just the Past. They may be dead, torn down, or simply nonexistent in the present.
Kingdom of Verpomia
|Motto: "Wir werden unsere Sieg gewinnen!" (We'll win our victory!)|
|Anthem: Augen Gradeaus (Looking Ahead)|
Verpomia is in Yellow.
|Official languages||German (called Die Höhesprach)|
|-||King||Svend (1997 - 2015)|
|-||The Great War||1950 (Earth Years)|
|-||Foundation||1963 (Earth Years)|
|-||Surrender||2015 (Earth Years)|
Verpomia was the largest country (in land area) located on Planet 1984. By Antarctic standards, Verpomia was a military superpower, which was constantly at war with either Orwellia or Ouestland. The leader of Verpomia was King Svend, who was the head figure in an absolute monarchy. Unlike the two other leaders in Planet 1984, King Svend was not the god-like figure, but rather a worldly representative of "the divine". Verpomia was the first country to surrender to Shops Island in 2015, during the Liberation of Planet 1984.
- For Verpomia's early history, go here.
Ever since Verpomia was formed, it was constantly at war with either of its enemies. Unlike Orwellia, Verpomia suffered through a strong secession movement, fighting for the independence of what is now Ouestland. Throughout the 1990's (in Earth years), Verpomia fought an ever-growing civil war with this rebellious territory. The climax came when Ouestian rebels killed King Mecklenburg, and, as the country was in chaos, forcefully declared independence. Mecklenberg's son, Svend, wasn't coronated until after Ouestland became its own country. Ouestland and Orwellia were Verpomia's sworn enemies for many years. Verpomia ceased to exist as of 2015, when they signed an instrument of unconditional surrender with Shops Island.
Government and Politics
Verpomia was an absolute monarchy. And, as such, the king was the one with absolute power. The king had no council or advisers; he made all the decisions independent of influence. The king was granted his powers from "The Divine", and so he had a "divine" right to rule. This also considered him to be the living embodiment of The Divine. Unlike Orwellia or Ouestland, there were no departments or anything of the like. The king directly controlled every aspect of Verpomia as a functioning society.
At least, this is how it should have worked. In reality, the king only had ceremonial power over Verpomia's going-ons. In reality, the noblemen were the ones that called the shots, and just made it look like the king was the one in charge. The king was blissfully unaware of this.
Verpomia had a strong hierarchy, which penetrated every part of society. One normally could not change their social status in life, no matter how hard they tried. The class ranking system went as follows, from top to bottom:
- The King (Der König) - The King had (de-jure) absolute power and authority over Verpomia. He was the living link between The Divine and the Verpommians.
- Noblemen (Edelmänner) - The Noblemen were the real people in charge. They had more oversight and control over aspects of Verpomia's governance, and so took this to their advantage. They lived very luxurious lifestyles, only the king had it better.
- Clergymen (Kirchemänner) - The Clergymen were considered the living messengers of The Divine, and are still today as such, held in very high regard for their wisdom and supernatural power.
- Military-men (Militärmänner) - Military-men were those who are part of the military in Verpomia. They were respected among the commoners for their role in defending Verpomia.
- Commoners (Gemeinmänner) - The Commoners were those who lived in the fields and farm. They made up about 75% of Verpomia's population. The colloquial term for them was peasants. They spent their lives in little shacks in the field, growing crops and raising animals, of which a ten percent royalty went to the King and the Noblemen. The only position a Commoner could move to was a Military-man.
Loyalty, obedience, and love towards the king was demanded. However, unlike in Orwellia or Ouestland, these did not come as a result of indoctrination, fear, or threats. At birth, everyone was exposed to a gas, a neurotoxin, that hard-wired the brain into complete loyalty towards Verpomia, The Divine, and the King. Because of this, there was no threat of rebellion or unrest, and as such, polices such as the Mind Patrol were very small.
The Verpommians had the most soldiers of any country on Planet 1984. However, these soldiers were dressed very primitively, much like Castillan soldiers. They actively fought against both Orwellia and Ouestland. Verpomia also had a large fleet of submarines, which they released into the seas to strangle their enemies' supply lines. The Verpommians were also the first on Planet 1984 to develop airplanes, for military purposes. Although, these aircraft were very basic and primitive when compared to Antarctic aircraft.
The majority of Verpommians were Commoners. The commoners lived their lives on the fields, producing crops to sustain themselves, and to give a portion of it to the King and Noblemen. Verpommians are very spiritual; all of them believe in The Divine and the King's link between them and the world. When dealing with those who didn't believe in The Divine, the government needed not get involved; vigilante justice was often served. Even after Verpomia surrendered in 2015, the Shoppers allowed the Verpommians to keep their spiritual traditions.
- Verpomia is named after Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, a state in Germany.
- Verpomia is a parody of both Imperial Germany and Europe during the Dark Ages.